bullet Moses WALTON was born in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. He died in Fayette, Kennebec Co., Maine. Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

bullet Nathaniel WALTON was born in 1658 in England. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Olive WALTON Photo was born on 16 Nov 1901 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. She died on 17 Dec 1948. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr. and Emma Louise HYDE.

She was married to Areland James ALLEN on 2 May 1927 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah.

bullet Parley Leroy WALTON was born on 6 Mar 1885. He died on 26 Oct 1911. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON .

bullet Pearl Louise WALTON Photo was born on 31 Oct 1896 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. She died on 3 Nov 1967 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr. and Emma Louise HYDE.

bullet Reuben WALTON Sr. was born in 1734 in Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire.
Reuben Walton, son of Samuel and Rebecca Davis, whom she named as one of her minor children in a bond at the rime of her husband's death, was born in Souhegan West, now Amherst, New Hampshire, about 1734-5. The death of his father threw him on his own resources at the age of 14. Provincial papers give the first printed record of him in young manhood, which stated that he was granted one-half of a third division of land in Souhegan West, dated 1 Dec 1759, and that he was among the first "heirs" who had paid the full sum on such lots and shares.

About that time he and Mary Thompson were married. His application for his inheritance, or 'claim' as it was called, suggests their intention of making their home in Amherst. Mary, the daughter of Noah and Susannah (Place) Thompson, was born in Newington, New Hampshire, where she is listed on the church records as being christened on 7 Sep 1735. Her grandson, Artemas Walton, said that she was of Scottish descent and that she possessed a "bright intellect and a happy disposition."

Four of the sons of Reuben and Mary - Benjamin, Artemas, Reuben, and Jonathan - were born in Amherst. They sought land on a new frontier up in the wilderness of Cheshire County, New Hampshire. The settlement was called Limerick, but was incorporated as Stoddard. In 1760 Reuben's name was on the tax list of Amherst and in 1769 he is listed among the first settlers of Limerick, later Stoddard. This was a land grant from the Masonic Proprietors to Colonel Stoddard. The first chartered settlers were John Taggert, Reuben Walton, Alexander Scott, and Archelaus Putnam, who, in a report, stated: "I, myself, went in 1770 and have four acres improved."

From Mr. Taggert we learn that "the nearest town was Peterborough, and that provisions were packed in on their backs through a pathless wilderness where trees were blazed to guide the travelers on their way. In winter it was a great hardship as the "snow was very deep." In these few words is recorded a stark picture of our hardy progenitors struggling uncomplainingly against the harsh realities of their wilderness surroundings, and a deeper appreciation of their steadfast character is impressed on our minds.

Charter records in Provincial Papers give an interesting account of the few men who went to Limerick in 1769. "These men have houses and well toward twelve acres of land cleared up with improvements." An Act of Settlement taken at Limerick on 22 Sep 1771 states that "Reuben Walton came on the 26th day of the 10th month of 1769 with his wife and family. He had a pole house covered in, and three acres of land cleared on lot 6 in range 8." That little house in the clearing was a welcome sight to Mary.

Looking back through the years to that pole house among the trees, one might see in fancy three small boys playing in the sand with their faithful watchdog close by, but five-year-old Reuben was not there. On their journey to the new home an incident occurred that was forever indelibly impressed on the mind of the youngest son, Jonathan. The keeper of the tavern at which they stopped one night had a large "useful" dog. Jonathan had a little pet dog that he loved with all his heart. Perhaps his father thought that the big "useful" dog would fit better into the wilderness life than the little pet. However, that may be, Jonathan's dog was traded to the innkeeper for his watchdog, and the little boy's loss became very real because of the growling unfriendliness of the strange dog.

This incident made a deep and lasting impression on the child's mind and substantiates the fact and the time that Provincial Papers show the move to Stoddard was made. It also proves that four of Reuben and Mary's children were born in Amherst and one in Stoddard.

They continued their journey, taking the trail the pioneers followed, which led through Peterborough. Here another incident, sadder even than the first, took place. For some reason never divulged, the little five-year-old Reuben was left at the home of the Hen. Hugh Wilson, member of the House of Representatives, and the family traveled on without him. This incident affected the whole future of the little boy. No record of the event was made at the time, but threads of it were picked up in later years when the little boy had become a grown man living in the town of Rumford, Maine.

Broken in health and with eight dependents, he applied for a pension for his services in the Revolutionary War. But before that could be granted, positive identification had to be established. This proved to be an almost impossible feat, because Reuben had run away and served in the war under the assumed name of John Thompson. His reason for taking this alias was explained in his application for the pension he sought. It was dated 25 July 1820 in Paris, Maine before Albion Parris, judge of district court.

At that time he gave his age as 54 and listed his dependents as: "Ruth, my wife, Elizabeth, my daughter, age 25, weakly, and able to do little work; Patty, 21, healthy; Sukey, 15, healthy; Charlotte, age 7 years, my granddaughter; Rosannah Virgin, my granddaughter, 6 months, and my mother, Mary, 83 years, feeble."

A statement attached to Reuben's application declared: "I, Reuben Walton, named in the annexed application, on oath declare that previous to my joining the Army in 1780, 1 lived with James Wilson in Peterborough. That dissatisfied with living with said Wilson I left him and joined the Continental Army, and to prevent detection by my old master, I entered the Army under the name of John Thompson. I was advised to this course by Captain Smith who lived neighbor to Wilson and who assisted me in leaving his service. And I do further on oath declare that I continued in the service by the name of John Thompson from the time of my enlistment for the duration of the war."

On the same day and place that Reuben made application his mother gave affidavit which stated: "I, Mary Walton ... on oath, declare that when my son Reuben Walton was about five years of age, he went to live with Hugh Wilson, with whom he lived until said Wilson died when my said son who is now in my presence, continued to live with the son of said Wilson, about three years, I think, when he left said Wilson on account of ill treatment, changed his name of Reuben Walton into that of John Thompson being my maiden name under which name he enlisted into the Army of the United States. Said Wilson had pursued my son which was the reason of his changing his name...At that time was greatly concerned for the welfare of my son and knew not what had become of him. In the spring of the year 1782, much to my surprise and joy, he came home from the Army, as I then ascertained and with furlough, under the name of John Thompson. I well remember the furlough as it accounted for our not being able to learn anything of him before in consequence of the change in his name. He remained at home but two days when he again left us for the Army. I further certify that my said son, Reuben Walton, who is now present, and John Thompson who bore the furlough aforesaid, are one and the same person. (Signed) Mary Walton."

An affidavit given by Enos Taylor emphasizes the fear of detection the boy was living under. He states that: "...sometime, in the month of March, 1780, a boy about fourteen years of age came to me and said his name was John Thompson who lived with me until the month of July after he went into the Army for three months by that name and returned and continued with me until the next month when he enlisted in the Continental Army for three years under the same name but before he enlisted for the three months I found out that his name was Reuben Walton and after he returned to me he resumed the name of Reuben Walton."

Reuben was too young to join the army, but he ran away from the Wilson home and enlisted. He served all through the War of the Revolution; New Hampshire State Papers, vol. 16, p. 842, states that Reuben Walton, Sr., and Reuben Walton, Jr., appeared before their recruiting officer in their home town where he enlisted in July, 1781. The enlistment paper states: "Pursuant to an act of the general assembly of the said State for raising Soldiers for three years, or during the war, we have raised Reuben Walton, and Thomas Scott is engaged in the Riggerment aforementioned for the town of Stoddard he engaged in the year 1777 During the War and ... Reuben Walton, Junior who is under his father, that is, under age, and is listed into the New Hampshire forces During the war and is engaged for no other town that we know of. He belonged to Stoddard before he Listed."

During the early history of Stoddard, few records were kept. Petitions of the people recorded in State Papers give dates and names of the signers, and from the minutes of the council meetings, we glean ideas of the town's development and of a way of life we know little of today.

Reuben Walton, Sr. signed his name 18 June 1776, to a petition soliciting aid from the General Court on "law breaking and disturbin' meetings." Another was concerned with town boundary lines and the taxes encumbered by them. His name was on the side of justice in the court case against Captain Oliver Parker when, by petition, the inhabitants of the town cleared his name from malice and falsehood.

The last record of Reuben Walton, Sr. in Stoddard was at a meeting held 4 Sep 1780 at the home of Harry Spalding when he was chosen as chairman of a surveying committee to locate the "stake at the center of town." Reuben nominated Richard Emerson to serve on the same committee. These records, fragmentary as they are, give us a glimpse of our progenitors in their daily activities--establishing the foundations of the towns they lived in--and more important, the foundation of the future United States. These meager records also furnish many items of importance, which otherwise would not be available.

Before 1800 the family moved to Gray, in what later became the state of Maine. Lapham's History of Gray, states that Reuben, with sons Benjamin, Artemas, and Simeon were among the first settlers of Gray. Sons Reuben, Jr. and Jonathan were not mentioned by Mr. Lapham, probably because they were married and living elsewhere. Reuben and Mary's next move was to Paris, a few miles north of Gray, in Oxford County. They were living in an upper room of their son Simeon's home when death came to the father. He was reading by the fireplace when he was seized with a sharp pain in his chest that threw him forward. Mary's screams brought Simeon, but Reuben died before help could be given.

In her declining years, Mary shared the homes of her children and was living with Reuben, Jr., in 'feble' health in Jul, 1818, when Reuben made his application for a pension.

Reuben is our 6th Great Grandfather Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

Children were: Simeon WALTON, Reuben WALTON Jr..

bulletReuben WALTON Jr. was born in 1762. He died on 20 Mar 1825 in Rumford, Oxford Co., Maine.
Reuben Walton Jr., son of Reuben Walton Sr. and Mary Thompson, was born about 1765 at Amherst, New Hampshire. He married 30 May 1787 at Lyndborough, New Hampshire, Ruth Peabody, daughter of Capt. Isaac and Sarah (Wilkins) Peabody. The census for 1790 lists them at Lyndborough with a Son and two daughters who are identified in family records as Artemas, Sally, and Elizabeth. The birth of their next child, Ruth, 4 Sep 1791, may have been in Alstead where the census of 1800 lists them with two sons and five daughters.

After the Revolutionary War the British government offered large tracts of land in Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia to Americans who would settle them. Many, including the Reuben Walton family, flocked there in great numbers. Susan remembered she was "thirteen years old when she moved."

Deacon John Smith and Job Tyler, Reuben's sons-in-law, had previously moved to Shipton, Quebec, and Reuben may have gone there to be near his children. For some reason he did nor remain long but crossed the border again and settled in Mexico, Maine, where his brothers were living. Mexico was a government grant known as Holmanstown and was incorporated in 1818.

Various officers were called school agents, sealers of leather, sealers of weights, sealers of lumber, hog reaver, field drive, etc., etc. Among those officials the names of Kimball, Putnam, Bacon, Walton, Card, Eastman, Hannaford, and other allied families, was like listening in on a big, friendly family in their business of building a town. In perusing their petitions, disputes, and arguments, one almost felt the growing pains of Mexico as it struggled toward adulthood.

Swift River, an affluent of the Androscoggin, rushes and tumbles through the valley where fertile forms bask peacefully in the sun along its banks. Surrounding this peaceful valley are hills covered with forests of fir, spruce, hemlock, ash, and maple in all of nature's primeval beauty.

The farm belonging to Reuben, Jr., was located one half mile south of the Roxbury-Mexico town boundary line on the west side of Swift River, and that Artemas had a farm adjoining on the south. Deacon John Smith had returned from Shipton and had located across the river on the east and directly under "Pine Hill." These men built substantial homes on their broad acres. The largest of these was Reuben's, mentioned in history as "Walton's Mansion." It had many rooms, the largest of which, in lieu of a village school, was used for that purpose. Reuben's nephew, Benjamin Walton, was said to have been the first schoolmaster.

Sylvester Smith, son of John and Rachel Walton Smith, wrote a book entitled Recollections of a Busy Life, in which he shares with us his delightful memories of his grandmother, Ruth Peabody. One day, with his little warm hand in hers, they were walking along near the river on their way to her house. As they trudged along the sky darkened, and black, rolling clouds swooped toward them. The sharp flashes of lightning followed by the crashing explosion of thunder terrified the child and he began to whimper. Stooping, she folded him in her arms, and with a whispered assurance that they were in God's care, she comforted him. They crossed the old rustic footbridge and, splashing through the rain and mud, they reached the haven of her home. As they stepped into the cozy room, they were welcomed by the appetizing aroma of food simmering on the embers in the fireplace. Dry clothing and a bowl of hot soup before the cheery fire soon erased the frightening experience from the little boy's mind, but the memory of his dear grandmother who trusted in the Lord, still lives.

The Andrascoggin River flows between the villages of Mexico and Rumford, Maine. Reuben's last home was built amidst the scenic beauty of the Rumford Falls, where the water plunges over the rocks in a foaming torrent. It was here that Reuben, in poor health, was living (with the eight dependents) when he applied for the pension. He said, "Pride would not allow me to apply for a pension as long as I was able to work." That simple, terse statement sums up the philosophy of an honest and self-respecting man. May his descendants appreciate the integrity of such a life; the values he cherished, and the standards he maintained.

Reuben is our 5th Great Grandfather Parents: Reuben WALTON Sr. and Mary THOMPSON.

He was married to Ruth PEABODY on 30 May 1787. Children were: Martha Ann WALTON.

bullet Reuben WALTON

He was married to Ruth PEABODY on 30 May 1787 in Lyndeboro, Hillsboro Co., New Hampshire.

bullet Richard WALTON was born about 1397 in Huntingsdonshire, England. He died in 1463. Parents: Sir Thomas de WALTON and Alana BARRY.

He was married. Children were: William WALTON.

bullet Robert WALTON was born about 1581 in London, England. He died in London, England. Robert Walton's date of death was recorded by (Shurt...) as Mar 26,
1604, his wedding day. William Walton, his son was born Sep 13, 1605.

Or St. Batolph, Bishop Gate, London, England, according to "The Waltons of Brunswick County, Virginia; Descendants of George and Elizabeth (Rowe) Walton" by Joe C. Tinney. Parents: William WALTON and Ann (Anne) MAYS.

He was married to Margaret FITZWILLIAMS on 26 Mar 1604 in London, England. Children were: Rev. William WALTON.

bullet Robert Clarence WALTON was born on 1 Mar 1877. He died on 11 Oct 1878. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Sir Roger de WALTON was living on 10 Mar 1257. He was a Marshall in household of Henry III in 1270. Parents: Simon de WALTON.

He was married. Children were: Sir William de WALTON .

bullet Rosella Jane WALTON was born on 15 Apr 1882. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON .

bullet Samuel WALTON III was born on 7 Oct 1705 in Reading, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. He died in 1749 in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire.
Samuel Walton III, son of Samuel Walton Jr. and Hannah Leach, was born in Reading, Massachusetts, 7 Oct 1705. There, on 6 Mar 1729, he married Rebecca Davis, daughter of Joshua and Rebecca (Pierce) Davis. The wedding vows were exchanged in a church ceremony with Rev. Daniel Putnam officiating. They settled in Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts, where their first two sons, Samuel and Davis, were born. The latter was just past two years old when an important event changed the course of the lives of this family.

It all came about through the governor of Massachusetts bestowing grants of land on the legal heirs, male and female, of soldiers who had fought in King Philip's War. These grants were in fulfillment of a proclamation made to soldiers on Dedham Plain in the name of the government that "if they played the man, took the fort and drove the enemy out of Narragansett, they should have a gratuity of land besides their wages.

Under that proclamation, Samuel's legal heirship came through his mother Hannah, the granddaughter of John Leach Sr., who was a soldier in that deadly struggle.

Imbued with confidence in the government, self reliance, and an abiding faith in God, Samuel and Rebecca left Lynn, risking all they held dear to face the uncertain future in a lonely unbroken wilderness.

The grant was called Narragansett No. 3, or Souhegan West, until it was incorporated as Amherst. About 1734, historians tell us that "Samuel Walton and Samuel Lamson who were brought up in Reading, moved their families to their allotment. The land, densely forested, through which the Souhegan River flows on its meandering way to join the Merrimac was rich and fertile. Put despite these advantages, it was lonely and unsettled. One settler described it as a "howling wilderness where no man dwelt. The hideous howling of wolves. the eerie shriek of Owls, the gobbling of wild turkeys and barking of foxes was all the music we heard. It was all a dreary waste and exposed to a thousand difficulties."

Two unrecorded and unsung heroines of history, the wives of Samuel Walton and Samuel Lamson, were there with their husbands when Amherst emerged from its primeval state. They with their children, helped to clear the land of trees, brush, and stumps to make it habitable. Their homes, historians tell us, were the first in Amherst. In a "Historical Sketch of Amherst," by Dr. John Farmer, we read that "The first settlement was commenced and the first house built by Samuel Walton and Samuel Lamson. It was built of logs and stood where the tavern now stands.

They lived in a rude log cabin far from neighbors, dependent on wild game and berries for their sustenance and medicinal plants for their ills. Abigail Lamson's daughter was said to have been the first white child born in Amherst, and Rebecca Walton's son Benjamin was born about 1773-4.

Dr. Farmer records that both families later moved to "other parts," Samuel Lamson to the west, now Mont Vernon, and Samuel Walton to the east near Baboosuck Pond. The reason for this scattering out and moving to "other parts" was that they now felt it unnecessary to live in the fort, due to the promise of the government that they would be protected from attacks by the Indians-a promise that never was kept.

A new realism grips us when we remember that another son, Reuben, was born in a log cabin near Baboosuck Pond, miles from the nearest neighbor, with the fear of Indian attacks ever present in their minds.

There is a feeling of pride in the hearts of American people stemming from the fact that, as the pioneers pushed outward, expanding the boundaries of the frontier, their first united effort was the building of schools and churches. In January, 1735, votes were cast to reserve three lots in the best location in the village for that purpose. Their minister, Rev. Daniel Wilkins, graduate of Harvard College, was selected in 1738. He lived in the fort called the "block-house," in the northeastern part of the village, where settlers gathered for safety and to discuss their mutual problems. He was their pastor and "under God" their counselor and protector, as well as their representative in the Governor's Council.

On that memorable day, 22 Sept 1741, the Congregational Church was organized in that community. Also present in the assembly were many ministers from neighboring villages. With solemnity, the Covenant was read, and Daniel Wilkins was ordained pastor of the church after which five men and six women, among them Abigail Lamson and Rebecca Walton, subscribed their names.

Their foreboding of an Indian attack was justified. In their anxiety, the settlers held a meeting in the block-house and unanimously agreed that Rev. Wilkins act as their representative before the legislature. They presented a memorial to the governor explaining their defenseless condition, the imminent threat of an Indian attack and their inability to raise their crops unless a suitable guard be sent to protect them as they worked in their fields. The petition read, in part: "Unless we have speedy help, we will soon be obliged to forsake our homes, yield ourselves as easy prey to our enemies and suffer ruin by leaving our farms and improvements to waste. This must be our lot unless the government compassionately grants us protection."

There were 35 families with only 58 men over 16 years of age in the village of Amherst. Of Samuel and Rebecca's large family, only one, Samuel, was in that group. Thus father and son were a part of that inadequate number for defense against potentially overwhelming odds.

In reading the petitions to the governor and the minutes of the town meetings we discover ample evidence of the continued growth of the village of Amherst. The land was divided and surveyed; river water was impounded and Amherst, so recently a wilderness, was preparing to take its rightful place in the thriving colony of Massachusetts.

Being a surveyor, Samuel was one of a committee in 1745, instructed to "lay out roads and highways, and to lay out no highways except where the people were willing to donate the land for the purpose." Two years later he was one of a committee instructed to survey the public lands as follows: "To survey the undivided land, and to have regard for (to take note of) the quality and goodness of the land and meadows and qualify the same; to get such assistance as needful and get the work done as soon as possible." The work was accomplished with all speed and the committee's report was submitted to the meeting of the proprietors held 8 Feb 1748-49. That was the last time Samuel's name appears on any official records. The assignment of these public duties are an indication of the capability of the man, the trustworthiness and dependability of his character and his great interest in the progress of the community.

The inventory of his estate reveals a way of life far removed from our modern times. The names of the tools are unrecognizable to the present generation. Listed were a pair of oxen and two mares, a heifer and two white-backed cows and calves; coopers tools, chisels, saws and grindstone; a gun and pistol, scythe and andirons; tongs, bake oven, mortar and cement mixer; wooden bowls, tubs, dishes, knives and forks; a Negro servant girl, a spinning wheel, chests and pillows-and something very rare--a library of 75 books. Real property included 315 acres of land with house and barn on it-a very substantial home in those days--which was appraised at 3,026 (English) pounds

Samuel's earthly journey was of short duration but his sons give it meaning and purpose. The spinning wheel and books, which were probably inherited from his father, suggest contented domesticity and culture in the home. The administration of his estate shows that his death and burial occurred some time before 16 Feb 1750, for on that date his widow waived administration of the estate in favor of her son Samuel, Jr. as expressed in the following letter written by her to the Judge of Probate:

Souhegan West, New Hampshire

"To the Honorable Andrew Wiggin, Esq. Judge of Probate for the Wills of N.H.

This humble petition showeth that I, the subscriber, relict of Samuel Walton, deceased, being of weakly constitution and not so able to have the fatigue of the journey and also having a numerous family of small children who are in no way fit to be left alone too long and also there being large sums of money to call in and pay out, which require much more trouble than the circumstances of my person and family will admit. I desire, therefore, that your honor would excuse me from taking administration of my husband's estate, (which is in testate) and accept my son Samuel Walton in my room. In so doing, your Honor will greatly oblige his very humble servant.
(signed) Rebecca Walton"

(New Hamp. Probate, vol. 16, p. 150)

Three days later Samuel, Jr., Ebenezer Lyons, and Ebenezer Ellingwood gave a bond for the administration of the estate. On 29 May 1751, Rebecca, her father-in-law, Samuel Walton, the miller, of Hampton Falls, and her son Samuel Jr., gave a surety bond for 1000 (English) pounds for the guardianship of her smaller children.

Of these sons, Samuel Jr., the eldest, and Benjamin, died before 1760. Proof of this statement is that on 13 May 1760 the estate of Benjamin was administered by John Harvell of Litchfield, and since Benjamin was an heir to the estate of his brother Samuel Jr., it is evident that he survived the latter.

The tragedy of the deaths of two of her eldest sons left Rebecca without help with the farm and the younger children. She married her second husband, Mr. Perham, before 18 Dec 1755, the day her dowry was legally given as Rebecca Walton (alias) Perham.

The military service of all her remaining sons and two grandsons in the Revolutionary War distinguishes her as one of America's great mothers. At the close of the war, five of these sons went to Maine. Before leaving, however, they signed a deed, turning the Amherst property they inherited from their parents and two deceased brothers, over to their brother William.

Samuel is our 7th Great Grandfather Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

He was married to Rebecca DAVIS on 6 Mar 1729 in Reading, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Children were: Reuben WALTON Sr., Joshua WALTON, Moses WALTON , William WALTON, Davis WALTON , Benjamin WALTON.

bullet Samuel WALTON Jr. was born in Sep 1684. He died on 9 Nov 1753 in Hampton Falls, Rockingham Co., New Hampshire.
Samuel Walton, son of Samuel Walton and Sarah Maverick, was born at Marblehead and baptized with his brothers and sisters in the Salem church 26 Oct 1684.

Vital records of Beverly, Massachusetts show that on 22 Dec 1702 he married Hannah Leach, daughter of John and Mary Leach. They moved to Reading where the births of their children are recorded.

Their four sons felt the urge to reach out for undeveloped lands for their homes. William went to Salisbury and his descendants settled there and at Newburyport. Moses went to Boston; Samuel III to Amherst, New Hampshire; and Johnathan chose Hampton Falls, New Hampshire, where as early as 1739 he signed a petition requesting that Hampton Falls be cut off from Salisbury and Amesbury and incorporated as a separate parish. The parishioners explained that they "had to walk six miles to a meeting-house."

Samuel's name was on the proprietor's list when the town was incorporated by charter on 25 November 1742. On 30 April 1746 he appraised the estate of Benona Cilley and was named in the records as "Samuel Walton, the miller." That he was a miller is proven in a deed to his son Johnathan dated 30 September 1747, which provides that "land, house and a share in a grist mill in North Hampton." In 1749 he is listed with five other men acting as a building committee for the erection of a new meetinghouse to replace the one destroyed by fire. The new building was to be two stories high, and the committee was commissioned to "provide the material and carry on the affair with speed." They were also to see that provisions were made for Rev. Whipple to have "a suitable house to live in with privileges of a cow-yard and a well."

At Amherst on 29 May 1751 he signed a bond for $1000 with his daughter-in-law Rebecca, wife of his deceased son Samuel, for the guardianship of her six minor children. This benevolent gesture was his last recorded act before his death on 9 November 1753. He was buried at Hampton Falls.

His wife, Hannah, preceded him in death by six years and was buried at Reading 13 March 1747.

Samuel is our 8th Great Grandfather Parents: Samuel WALTON Sr. and Sarah MAVERICK.

He was married to Hannah Mary LEACH on 22 Dec 1702 in Beverly, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Children were: Samuel WALTON III, Hannah WALTON, Sarah WALTON, William WALTON, Moses WALTON, Mary WALTON, Jonathan WALTON.

bullet Samuel WALTON Sr. was born on 5 Jun 1639 in Marblehead, Essex Co., Massachusetts. He died on 22 Mar 1717 in Reading, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
Samuel Walton, son of William Walton and Elizabeth Cooke, was born 5 June 1639 at Marblehead, Massachusetts. He died in 1717 and was buried at Reading, Massachusetts. He married SARAH MAVERICK who was born at Chelsea, Mass. and died at Reading 10 June 1714. She was the daughter of Elias and Ann (Harris) Maverick.

Little mention is found pertaining to Samuel, but he was granted a lot in Marblehead 17 January 1663, which he owned for about 36 years before conveying it to Rebecca Norman. In 1664 he was among the 14 householders there who took the oath of allegiance 18 December 1667. He served in civic and church activities as "tithing man" (tax collector), constable and selectman. He was a farmer and also a mariner when the fishing business was highly competitive.

Occasionally disputes arose which went to the courts for settlement. One such case, that of Richard Ober versus Samuel Walton, was tried 11 September 1664, in which Samuel was charged for "with-holding his (Richard's) chest and wearing apparel," to which Samuel countered with a charge against Richard for "nonconformance in a fishing voyage which delayed the vessel at great expense."

The records of their court proceedings contain many a human interest story which gives us a glimpse of the manner in which justice was meted out in early American courts. In this case the defendant was fined and charged to pay costs of the court.

Following the death of Samuel's mother and the final settlement of his father's estate, he inherited the old homestead, the place of his birth, and where all of his own children were born. Later he sold his inheritance to Ambrose Gale, stipulating an exception that "a cartway for Ephriam Saunder's use be reserved." He then moved to Reading, where his son Samuel and other relatives were living. After the death of Sarah's father, her mother came to live with them, as did her sister, Ruth Maverick Smith. Ann died 7 September 1697 at the age of 84.

Samuel is our 9th Great Grandfather Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

Children were: Samuel WALTON Jr..

bulletSarah WALTON was born on 24 Nov 1707. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

bullet Sarah Helen WALTON was born on 8 Feb 1864. She died on 14 Apr 1864. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Silas Ray WALTON was born on 12 Mar 1887. He died on 29 Mar 1887. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON .

bullet Simeon WALTON was born on 29 May 1779 in Stoddard, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire. He died on 9 Mar 1862 in Paris, Oxford Co., Maine.
Simeon Walton, youngest son of Reuben Walton Sr. and Mary Thompson, was born in Stoddard, New Hampshire on the 29th of May, 1779. About 1790 he moved with his parents to Gray, Cumberland County (now Maine) while it was still a part of New Hampshire. The sturdy fort in the middle of the clearing, with smoke lazily spiraling from its broad chimneys, must have been a welcome and reassuring sight to the travelers as they drew the weary oxen to a halt at the end of the tedious journey.

It is not recorded how long the family remained in this area, but in the first land survey Simeon and his brother Benjamin owned a house and land in Plantation No. 4, which later was laid out as the village of Paris, and eventually became the seat of Oxford County.

All references to Simeon in this sketch are from History of Paris, by Lapham and Maxwell.

New Gloucester, a town a few miles north of Gray, was the home of an interesting personality: Simeon, the jeweler of Paris Hill. On 13 Apr 1800, in a ceremony at the home of the bride's parents, he married Margaret, daughter of Robert Bartoll and Martha (Tucker) Hannaford. This event was recorded at Paris with attestations given by Abija Hall, town clerk.

Simeon was a civic-minded man who voted for the division of the town when boundary lines, roads, schoolhouses, and places of worship were everybody's business. Among the new town officers, he was chosen Selectman in 1810. A jeweler and clockmaker by trade he specialized in the "grandfather" type so popular at that time. A few of these lovely old timepieces still survive and lend charm and dignity to well-furnished homes. About 1811, he established a branch business in the village of Norway. In the history of that area, he is spoken of as "the well-known jeweler of Paris Hill and Norway Village." In Norway, the shop was in an upper room of the Hathaway Building. In Paris, it was across the street from the family residence of Governor Albion E. Parris.

In a letter written in 1849 by Percival J. Parris, replying to an inquiry about Simeon, he said, "As a boy, I was more interested in early apples, squirrels and snow forts than in heredity, but I do remember Mr. Walton as a kindly old gentleman with glasses who rang our curfew. Standing in front of his shop was a large clock as a business advertisement.

The census of Norway for 1850 lists two house numbers for Simeon. C.B. Coffin, whose age is given as 25, worked in the shop and may have been an apprentice. Samuel Richards served an apprenticeship of three years under Simeon's expert direction. When it was completed, he received the highest honors of the Optical College and became the finest watchmaker in Oxford County.

David Hannaford, Simeon's brother-in-law who had only one hand, was referred to as "the clock peddler for Simeon Walton."

When the War of 1812 broke out, Simeon enlisted at Portland. In 1814 he served with the Massachusetts troops under Captain Blake and Colonel Ryerson. During that year a daughter, whose name is not known, was born.

A report from the National Archives and Record Service shows that bounty land was issued to him under the Acts of 28 Sep and 3 Mar 1855, part of which he received at age 72 while living in the village of Norway. Another purchase of a lot is recorded in Paris Deeds and on 4 Apr 1837 Margaret signed with him on a deed to John Dean.

In addition to his jewelry and clockmaking business Simeon was also a farmer and struggled with adverse weather conditions. His sheep mark was a swallowtail in the right ear. In 1816 snow fell every month of the year. On 7 Jun his neighbor rode horseback to the next town and reported, "I came very near freezing to death. It was so cold it killed the birds. English sparrows, frozen stiff, were picked up along the road." Taxes were high that year and in 1817 corn sold for 2.00 a bushel, wheat for 2.50 and 3.00.

Simeon's public service as Oxford County Clerk began when he took the oath of office on 20 Aug 1833, the day the first issue of the Oxford Democrat came off the press. He served three years in this office and his handwriting, still legible, is preserved in the records he kept.

He was dedicated to the cause of temperance, and a charter member of the first Union Temperance Society of Maine, whose constitution pledged its members to total abstinence. He campaigned for greater and stronger membership in the society, and in 1851, after 18 years of perseverance, saw the adoption of a prohibitory liquor law written into the constitution of the state.

Simeon gave his full support to the purchase of a curfew bell which had been discussed in council meetings. It proved a good investment as it was also used to proclaim the opening of all sessions of the County Court and as a call to worship on the Sabbath Day.

In later life Simeon was chosen sexton of the church and his ringing of the melodious bell through the years, so exact in time, endeared him to the hearts of the people. "He was old, honest, experienced, and very exact in ringing the bell."

The First Baptist Church, which was built in 1803 is still in use. Simeon's name and family pew are still on record there. The first town hall is now a museum, jealously guarding the treasured relics of a forgotten age.

In those early days people helped each other in house or barn raisings, in what was known as a "bee." There were quilting bees, husking bees, and many others that afforded good food, fun, and entertainment, as well as work. But the "piling bees" were different and provided an exciting means of getting a job done. When a neighbor had 10 or 20 acres cleared, a piling bee was called, and families gathered for the fun. Men and boys laid the trees and brush in long rows and put torches to them. After the first burning, the remainder of the charred logs were pushed into piles for a second burning. The grotesque, smoke-blackened faces of the burners created much merriment for all. The dinner bell was a welcome sound, and laughter filled the air as the hungry pilers filed into the kitchen with its tantalizing aroma of delicious food and the happy chatter of their womenfolk.

After Margaret's death on 10 Oct 1850, Simeon married again, but the date is not found. Percival J. Parris writes of this event: "Very late in life, Mr. Walton married Sally, widow of Abijah Andrews. I well remember that because the couple was given a serenade of even greater noise and disorder than usually deemed appropriate at the time. My father spoke in disapproval of it, but I was at an age when harsh and discordant noises were considered the sweetest music!"

An honorable citation of "Dean of Disciples" was awarded posthumously to Simeon by the governor of Maine at the Centennial Celebration of Paris in 1879, some 18 years after his death on 9 Mar 1862.

Simeon is our 5th Great Grandfather Parents: Reuben WALTON Sr. and Mary THOMPSON.

He was married to Margaret HANNAFORD on 13 Apr 1800 in Paris, Oxford Co., Maine. Children were: Arthur WALTON.

bullet Simon de WALTON was born in 1175. He died in 1266 in Walton D'Eiville, Warwickshire, England. He was a Clerk to King John. He was a Chaplin to King Henry III. He was a Bishop of Norwich. Simon de Walton was also known by "de Wauton", Walthone, Walton.

Multiple sources trace this Walton line to Simon de Walton who was a clerk, chaplin and bishop. Churchmen at that time were not allowed to marry. Joe C. Tinney speculated that the churchman, Simon de Walton had a nephew by the same name who may have been the rightful individual at this point in the line.

He was married. Children were: Sir Roger de WALTON.

bullet Sir Thomas de WALTON was born in 1370. He died in 1437. He resided at Great Stoughton Manor in Huntingsdonshire, England. Also known as Sir Thomas de Wauton Parents: Sir John de WALTON Knight.

He was married to Alana BARRY. Children were: Richard WALTON.

bullet Sir Thomas de WALTON was living between 1328 and 1385 in Essex, Norfolk, England. Joe C. Tinney reported in "The Walltons of Brunswick County, Virginia;" that the same dates were reported for another Sir Thomas de Walton, clerk for Joan of Kent, the mother of King Richard II. Parents: Sir John de WALTON.

He was married to Elizabeth ASPALL in Essex, Norfolk, England. Children were: Sir John de WALTON Knight.

bullet William WALTON was born on 12 Apr 1709. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

bullet William WALTON was born on 27 Apr 1743 in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. He died on 15 Apr 1823 in Fayette, Kennebec Co., Maine. Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

bullet Rev. William WALTON was born on 13 Sep 1605 in Seaton, Devonshire, England. Mildred Johnson had recorded William Walton's birth as 1598.
He died on 6 Nov 1668 in Marblehead, Essex Co., Massachusetts. He was a Minister.
William Walton and Elizabeth Cooke. first of the Walton Family in North America. The first record is over three and a quarter centuries old. It was the alumni report of Emanuel College, Cambridge, England, stating that William entered that institution on the 18th of February, 1617 and graduated with a B.A. degree in 1621 and an M.A. degree in 1625. According to this record, it appears that he was "probably of Somerset," England. Another source, unsubstantiated, suggests Essex County.

The alumni record shows that he entered college as a "sizer," that is, one who works part time to finance his education. This strong determination to improve his lot with little else besides his bare hands, has developed a fine steadfast character.

He married Elizabeth Cooke, daughter of William and Martha (White) Cooke of Stratton, England. Her maternal uncle, the Reverend John White, was Patriarch of Dorchester, Dorset, England, and became founder of Dorchester, Massachusetts in America. He signed a visitation pedigree which shows the marriage of his sister Martha White to William Cooke.

The will of Mary Terry, sister of John and Martha White, and widow of Reverend John Terry, names Elizabeth Cooke Walton as her niece and Martha as her sister, who, at the time of the will, was Martha Moore. The will was dated October 5th, 1637, and recorded in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.

A letter written by Walter Earle of Charboraugh, England, found in Rev. John White's study following his death, was addressed: "My Reverend and Worthy Friend, John White, Preacher of God's Word at Dorchester." It mentioned Mr. Walton as "your kinsman and my friend," and acquaints Rev. White with a business transaction concerning the succession of a pastor and the purchase of the advowson of Seaton and Beer. The letter dated August 8, 1632, was written during Reverend William’s incumbency at Seaton, and near the time the people of Dorchester, influenced by the "persuasion of Reverend White," bought the property. Apparently it was a business transaction of some importance and dated back to the origin of the town when it was named in the Domesday Book as "Fleet."

At the time the above letter from Mr. Earle was written, William and Elizabeth were living in Seaton with three children: John, Elizabeth, and Martha.

His next residence of which there is record was in Hingham, Massachusetts and, like another minister of that colony, he came with a college degree in one hand and a Bible in the other. It is of record that many Puritans whose ideology he shared came under duress of Popish tendencies of the Anglican Church. Freedom of thought and action were essential to his concept of religion, so he came to America where he believed that privilege would be his.

The records of that time give Hingham (then known as Barecove,) Massachusetts as the place of his landing, and state that he, with other immigrants, came from Hingham and adjacent towns in Norfolk, England.

He was among the 29 men who, with Hobort and his little band of colonists, drew house lots and received grants of land for pasture and tillage in the first distribution of lots in Hinghom on 18 Sep 1635. That date establishes the beginning of the Walton family in America.

His first home was possibly built near a sheltered inlet near Hingham Harbor. That area is now a part of Melville Gardens at Downers Landing. It is a sunny nook sloping down to the shore and, for more than 300 years, has borne the name of Walton's Cove. The historian cites the longevity of such landmarks as follows: "Those landmarks, recognized up to the present time, will be handed down to posterity for a long time after the significance is forgotten."

On 8 March 1635-6 he took the oath of "freeman. On the third day of that same month, his son Nathaniel was born. Because his friend Rev. Peter Hobart was the minister at Hingham he didn't remain long. But he and Elizabeth were among the first settlers who gathered under an old oak tree and formed plans to build a church almost before the virgin land felt the plowshare. The bell tower of Old Ship Church, which was planned at that time, still stands. It bears the date 1631. The walls of the old church are adorned with historic tablets that honor the past and preserve the name of Hingham, England, the mother-town from whence they come.

It seems that not long after this church was built, he moved to Marblehead, Massachusetts, one of the oldest settlements in the colony, and one of the most primitive, but it was in need of a minister. The first mention of his name appeared on the tax list of 1637. This place was famous for its lack of interest in religious matters, and no minister could be persuaded to go there. A church was not organized until 1684, necessitating the sacraments of baptism and the Lord's Supper to be administered at Salem.

Joseph S. Robinson relates in "The Story of Old Marblehead," that it was difficult to realize the crudity of life in this and other early seaport towns. The people lived in rude log huts with thatched roofs in which sputtering pine knots were the chief source of light. Cooking was done on spits, in kettles hung on a crane in the fireplace or in fireplace ovens. There was no magistrate--not even a constable to enforce the law.

Mr. Robinson relates that "William Walton was the first missionary. He served for 30 years after his arrival in 1637. He preached regularly to the little group that assembled each Sabbath Day on the summit of Ould Burial Hill. That he managed to survive the rigorous test to which he was subjected by his illiterate and superstitious parishioners, speaks loudly for his devotion to them and to his religion."

A statement by Sidney Perley in his History of Salem asserts: "Though William Walton was never ordained to the ministry, he continued to preach to the people of Marblehead until his death in November, 1668."

Mrs. Troup's answer to Mr. Perley's statement concerning his ordination quotes that "Mr. Walton... subscribed to the Oath of Supremacy and XXXIX Articles in the Diocese of Bristol September, 1621 ... He signed the register as incumbent in 1627. He was licensed to hold a Curacy on March 31, 1628 ... and the Reverend John White said, 'He later became minister of Marblehead where he was much respected.' "

These records show that he was ordained shortly after his graduation. From Essex Historical Collection we learn that he was also a schoolmaster. In 1638 he was in Lynn where he was named among those proprietors with a grant of 60 acres of land. The historian writes: "William Walton seems to have been a man of enterprise and worth, well educated, having taken his degree from Emanuel College in Cambridge, England. He became a leader in the settlement of Jeffry's Creek, later named Manchester, and it seemed not improbable that he went there every year to teach."

One of the most interesting localities in Marblehead was Peach's Point where the first settlement was made. The historian names the first seven families who settled there and since Reverend Walton was among them, it is interesting to note that his friendly neighbors were Moses Maverick, Richard Reith, Robert Hooper, John Peach, and Samuel Cheever. Most of these names appear later with his on petitions to the government for improvement of commercial interests in the growing town.

On 14 November 1638 land grants were issued at Marblehead as follows: "To William Walton, eight acres on the main, to Moses Maverick, 10 acres near the same place." Mr. Allerton's grant was near that of his son-in-law, Moses Maverick. Two months later other grants were issued and Mr. Walton and Mr. Maverick were appointed to lay out the lots. This appointment suggests a colorful picture of some of the duties of community building such as surveying Marblehead's craggy terrain, winding in around her crooked trails in on attempt to shape the growing town. Today this beautiful city has on individual and distinct charm.

During the more than 300 years that have passed since Rev. Walton surveyed that bleak terrain, the efforts of its people have transformed the rocks and crags of Marblehead into one of the most picturesque and thriving areas in Massachusetts.

In 1634, the General Court of Massachusetts granted that every town in the colony should be "allowed to manage its own affairs." At that time Marblehead was managed by the town of Salem, which was very distasteful to the citizens of that proud village. After long agitation and many, many petitions which Rev. Walton and his fellow townsmen signed, Salem was presented with a request for the setting apart of Marblehead as a town by itself. Salem consented, and with the approval of the General Court, Marblehead experienced the most thrilling day in all its history. On 2 May 1649 national colors were flown on the village green and the entire population of 44 families rejoiced in the decree that made them a self governing community.

In what was perhaps the first town meeting after the incorporation the minutes read: "Seven men were chosen to do the town's business, and in order that there might be an equal way of maintaining the ordinance of the ministry, it was agreed that a rate be established according to requit. Mr. Walton to have 40 pounds for his services this year and the sum of 18 pence to be added to every man's rate for his wood."

Other business voted on was a rate for the meeting-house and the division of the common lands for pasturing. Rev. Walton’s pasturage was for two cows. Ten years later the population had increased and the village prospered. Now his salary was raised to the munificent sum of 70 pounds, and thereafter it varied from 60 to 80 pounds yearly. Historians record that "Parson Walton was not paid in money, but in fish, vegetables and other commodities and that strict accounts were kept by him and rendered yearly."

Here is a sample account:
by Ould Brown half a cow 5 pounds 2 shillings 6 pence by Richard Rowland 1/2 ton mackerel 5 pounds 8 shillings 6 pence by Smith cheese 13 shillings; pork 2 pounds 13 shillings by John Pride 6 yds of canvas 12 shillings; a new shirt 5 shillings by Christopher Godner liquor 15 shillings.

Fishing developed into the first real industry of Marblehead. The harbor, one of the deepest on the Atlantic coast, was a great asset in coastal trade, and for a time made Marblehead second only to Boston in importance in the colony. Court records show the beginnings of foreign trade in that industry which was to make the town wealthy. Perley, in his History of Salem, recalls that "The fears the early fishermen felt for the safety of their trade were responsible for a long series of petitions to the General Court. The conditions of the charter imposed by the King of England on the peoples of New England allowed foreign fishing merchants, lured to our shores by free trade, many liberties which were detrimental to the growth of the colony and which later proved instrumental in bringing about the Revolution.

"The petitions against these foreign fishermen began in 1643 when the Rev. William Walton and Moses Maverick, as representatives of the people and leaders of the little community in religion and business, first sought the General Court of Boston in defense of the harbor.

"One such petition was presented 6 May 1646, part of which reads as follows: 'To ye General Court the humble petition of ye inhabitants of Marblehead: Whereas there come yearly unto our Plantation, yet are strangers, and have formerly done us very much damage in ye consuming of our firewood, stage timber and flakestuff at their pleasure. Therefore, we desire that an order might be established on this subject. Yr Humble Petitioners' ":

(signed) William Walton, Moses Maverick (and 16 other signatures)

"The petition was granted by His Majesty under the great seal of England." Another petition signed by 17 leading citizens concerned the settlement of Jeffry's Creek. The name of Rev. Walton, a proprietor whose grant of land was dated 16 November 1638, headed the petition. At a legislative assembly on 14 May 1645 the town was incorporated and the name changed from Jeffry's Creek to Manchester.

Following is a copy of one of these many petitions that Rev.signed, with a goodly number of his neighbors. It sounds rather strange today:

"We whose names are subscribed, belonging to the Church and Town of Salem, (being straitened in our accommodations, so that we are not able, comfortable to subsist; having advised and taken Council about our present state and condition, it being judged full and free liberty being granted us to remove, and no plan being so convenient, for our Easy removal as Jeffry's Creek, lying so near us and most of us having some small quantity of ground allotted us there already) do therefore jointly and humbly request the Honored Court to give us power to erect a village there, and to allow us Such Enlargement thereabouts as is not granted any other plantation. Thus leaving our request to your wisdom and Consideration, with our prayers for a blessing from Heaven on your persons and proceedings we rest."

Y'r Humble petitioners.
(signed) William Walton, John Pickworth, John Black, John Gally, Wm. Alien, Ben'j Parmenter, Sam'l Archard, Robert Alien, George Morton & Co., Wm. Dixy, Edmund Grover, John Sibley, Pasco Foot, James Standish, Wm. Bennett, John Norman, John Friend.

This petition was granted and given to surveyors John Winthrop and Simon Bradstreet to "settle the bounds" of the village.

Court records reveal that much of the turbulence of which Marblehead had been accused was due to the prevalent use of rum which was made from foreign molasses imported by the colonies. Those under the influence of this drink often caused disturbances among the people and even in the town meetings. It undoubtedly led to the terse remark attributed to Rev. Walton that "They are a lawless and God-forsaken people, laboring with whom seems almost useless."

From the History of Salem we hear of his home in Marblehead. The first governor of Massachusetts Colony appointed in England after the signing of the Royal Charter of 1629, was Matthew Craddock. He probably never lived in Marblehead, but he had large financial interests there and was a great promoter of ship building and fishing industries. His building lot in Marblehead joined Rev. Walton’s and was numbered 32 on Little Harbor. He built homes in Ipswich, Medford, and Marblehead.

Rev. Walton, Elizabeth, and their six children were living in this house in 1638. Although it was of considerable size the building was poorly constructed and had a thatched roof. On the first day of February, 1633, Governor Winthrop wrote in his journal:

"Mr. Craddock's house at Marblehead was burnt down about midnight before, there being then in it Mr. Allerton and many fishermen whom he employed that season, who all were preserved by a special providence of God, with most of the goods therein, by a tailor who sat up late that night at his work ... and hearing a noise looked out and saw the house on fire above the oven, in the thatch."

The house was rebuilt apparently on the same site. A deed dated 1650 shows that William Walton bought the house and land surrounding it from the widow of Governor Craddock. She had remarried and was living in London as Mrs. Glover. Land records show that besides the lot on Little Harbor and the Craddock property, Rev. Walton also owned land extending from Rowland's Hill to the harbor.

Many of life's real experiences are spread across the pages of court record books, and reveal the frailties of the human race. Here is the confession made by Elizabeth, wife of John Legg, when she appeared in court to answer to the charge of slandering the minister and for disorderly conduct in the meeting-house on the Lord's day. It follows:

"I, Elizabeth Legg doe acknewledge that did evil and sinful in speaking Slitely and scornfully of Mr. Walton and in particular in saying, I could have a boy from College that would preach better than Mr. Walton for half the wages."

Since that was considered a light offense, her sentence was to make public acknowledgement and sit one hour in the public stocks with constables to see it accomplished. Six years later Elizabeth, still hostile, again appeared in court where a witness testified that "Upon the Lord's Day morning when coming from meeting upon the occasion of Mr. Walton reproving one who slept in meeting, Elizabeth broke out against him saying 'we are all a company of fools and if we follow Mr. Walton's preaching we will all go to hell and be damned.' "

Another witness said that Elizabeth said Mr. Walton was a "Catch Pole" (tax collector) Henry Coomes said that Mr. Walton preached "nothing but lies." He was sentenced for abuse and was fined or whipped.

Rev. Walton died intestate and under the court's appointment, Elizabeth administered the estate with the approval of the children. The court ordered her to keep the land intact during her lifetime. Listed in the inventory presented by Elizabeth was a dwelling-house and garden, an orchard with an old barn, a parcel of meadow and uplands with charges for draining against the sea. There was mention of cows, a heifer and pasturage in the commons. There were candlesticks, andirons, pewter platters, split tongs, a gun, and many other items indicative of a mode of living known to us only through the printed page or displays in a museum.

The inventory revealed that the "house was not well furnished but the library was viewed by Mr. Higginson and Mr. Hale and appraised at twenty pounds.

William Walton died of apoplexy 9 November 1668 at Marblehead. It is believed his resting place is "Ould Burial Hill. The last official record of Elizabeth was in 1670. She died in 1682 and the final settlement of the property was made 29 March 1685.

William is our 10th Great Grandfather Parents: Robert WALTON and Margaret FITZWILLIAMS.

Walton update
Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:16:02 -0700
Jerry Johnson
Jim Bailey

Must thank you for some real help, if indirect help, with the Walton
family. As I think I told you, I haven't done any serious genealogy
research for a few years and decided to get back at it for a number of
reasons. Just started again the past several weeks.

Your file matched my records on the Walton's - to Rev. William. But I
didn't have all those ancestors of Sarah Maverick and Elizabeth Cooke.
I used those folks to search some online data bases and found files with
Rev. William's parents, Robert Walton and Margaret Fitzwilliams and his
grandparents, William Walton (1556) and Ann (Anne) Mays.

Then last Saturday I took in the Mormon Family Center in Oakland and
found a book called "The Walltons of Brunswick County, Virginia;
Descendents of George and Elizabeth (Rowe) Walton" by Joe C. Tinney of
Waco, Texas. Early in his book he traces a couple of Walton lines
including the Walton line starting wtih Robert Walton and Margaret

I've attached a GED formated file of Rev. William Walton's ancestors -
about 24 people going back to Simon de Walton, b 1175, d 1266, although
we might be better served to begin with the next fellow, Sir Roger de
Walton. Seems Simon was clerk to King John (of Magna Carta fame) but
also Chaplin to King Henry III and the Bishop of Norwich. Since
clergymen in those days were suppose to be unmarried and celebate - some
researchers have either found, or invented, a nephew of the same name as
the source of the line. I much prefer the bishop's story, myself.

Another interesting piece in this line concerns the family land
holdings, Great Stoughton Manor, which was in the family for a few
hundreds of years. It was lost when the owner sided with the
revolutionaries to arrest, indict, convict and behead Charles I. At the
restoration ten years later when Charles II was given the throne, this
Walton, owner of Great Stoughton Manor, seems to have booked (probably a
good idea) and lost the homestead. This fellow would have been a
contempary and some kind of cousin to Rev. William and Samuel Walton,
Sr. Charles I was beheaded in 1649 and the restoration was in 1660.

The manor came into the family before the time of a knight, Sir John de
Walton who resided there in the 1390's. It may have come from Sir Robert
Aspall, and John's mother's family. I was cramped for time - definitely
will go back and get the chronology straight. As an old history major
in college, who still can't put down a well-written history, it is a
hoot to find some "family" connection. Kind of livens up the period.

Anyhow, I'm attaching the ged file - let's see if it get's through O.K.
I'm in Salt Lake on business the rest of the week and then on vacation
next week. My updated file with all this stuff will be posted at one of
my web sites by the end of the month. The home page (under new
constuction) is listed below.

Take care - and keep in touch.

Conventional wisdom is often neither.

Jerry Johnson
Tracy, California

Children were: Samuel WALTON Sr., Elizabeth WALTON, Josiah WALTON, Nathaniel WALTON, John WALTON, Martha WALTON, Mary WALTON, May WALTON.

bullet William WALTON was born about 1562 in London, England. Parents: Andrew WALTON and Joan CLERKS.

He was married to Ann (Anne) MAYS on 2 Feb 1581 in Hallows, England. Children were: Robert WALTON.

bullet William WALTON was born about 1512 in Huntingsdonshire, England. Parents: James WALTON.

He was married to Margaret DYES . Children were: Andrew WALTON.

bullet William WALTON signed a will in 1534. He was born in Huntingsdonshire, England. Parents: William WALTON.

He was married to Elizabeth DUNSTONE. Children were: James WALTON .

bullet William WALTON signed a will in 1493. He was a Brewer. Parents: Richard WALTON.

He was married. Children were: William WALTON.

bullet William Alphonso WALTON was born on 9 Oct 1859 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. He died on 13 Jan 1933. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

He was married to Clara Anna Laura PUTNAM on 22 Dec 1880 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah.

bullet William Charles WALTON was born on 21 Apr 1904. He died on 26 Apr 1987 in Mesa, Maricopa Co., Arizona. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr. and Emma Louise HYDE.

He was married to Thelma GEORGE on 29 Aug 1941 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.

bullet William David WALTON was born on 6 Jan 1873 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Sir William de WALTON was born in 1305 in Stepel Brumstead, Essex, England. Parents: Sir Roger de WALTON.

He was married. Children were: Sir John de WALTON.

bullet William Harrison WALTON Photo was born on 9 May 1823 in Mexico, Oxford Co., Maine. He died on 9 Oct 1907 in Auburn, Lincoln Co., Wyoming.
William Harrison Walton, son of Arthur and Martha Walton (his cousin) was born 9 May 1823 at Mexico, Maine, and there married 10 Jun 1843 Frances Newell Taylor, daughter of George Washington and Abigail Bacon Taylor.

'Harry,' as he was called, with his young wife, joined the caravan on the westward trek with the rest of the Walton family. The company divided at Rock Island, Illinois, and Harry, his cousin Sylvester Smith and Levi Wheeler, with their wives, drove back to Pawpaw Grove, Lee County, Illinois, about 75 miles west of Chicago. Harry's father, Arthur, and the rest of the family joined the Saints who had fled from Nauvoo, at the border of Montrose, Iowa where they spent the next five years.

At Pawpaw Grove haying was well under way and they found work in the hayfields and and in fencing the stacks. Land was acquired by preemption and Sylvester recorded in his Recollections of a Busy Life as follows:

"Settlers cooperated in fencing big fields of their crops. Each owner shared pro rata in the use of the land in proportion to the number of rails he had furnished for the fence. They protected their fields from fire by plowing a series of furrows around them some distance apart.

"One day in October, 1846, we were returning from the field with our wagons loaded with corn when, to our horror, we saw a huge prairie fire driven by a high wind advancing upon us from the west! We hurriedly corralled our teams and set counter fires to the dry grass beyond the plowed fire guard, but that west wind was against us and soon fire met fire and ours was telescoped by the raging holocaust which left nearly all our belongings a blackened mass of cinders.

"Our daily diet of parched corn became very monotonous and we were grateful for an occasional prairie hen which we killed with a stone.

"Grinding corn in a coffee mill, baking flapjacks on a campfire grill and living in a tent or covered wagon was an experience Frances had never known. Later she came close to death during the birth of her first baby, Harrison. Their second son, Charles Eugene, was born the 24th of August, 1847."

The following spring, the Smith and Harry Walton families parted at the Grove and Sylvester says that they sold their household effects and made their oxen and wagons ready for the trip. His brother-in-law, Levi E. Wheeler and Sylvester and his small family bade farewell to their neighbors and friends and left on the fifth of April, 1848.

Harry may have left about that time also, as the next heard of him is in California. He probably left Frances and the children at Montrose with his parents.

San Bernardino was a station on the old Santa Fe Trail, and Salt Lake merchants had much of their freight brought by ship to Los Angeles from whence it was transported in heavy wagons to San Bernardino and thence to its destination in the Salt Lake Valley, a distance of about 700 miles. The long and tedious overland trip was fraught with ever present dangers of Indian attacks, thirst, and starvation.

With the passing of the years, it has been forgotten whether Harry's duty was serving as guard in that starvation camp, protecting the United States mail, or keeping a watchful eye on the Utah freight. It would seem that it might have been all three as in another account it mentions him as 'traversing the United States from coast to coast, while on duty as a United States guard.' However, this experience took place before 17 May 1851, because on that important date he was back in Garden Grove, about 140 miles from Montrose where he had left Frances and the children.

His homecoming from halfway across the continent was a joyous one and was the occasion for a family reunion long to be remembered. Many of the travelers who had left the east with the caravan on their way west to the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Coast were living in Garden Grove. Among them was the Zimmerman family. One of the daughters, Susan, relates in her journal:

"We formed ourselves into an organization and chose Harry Walton to be our captain. He had been to California and had returned to get his family. Although he was not a Mormon, we chose him because he knew the trail and would make a good leader. Twenty-one families, sixty wagons and a threshing machine were in the company. When we left Winter Quarters the water was high and we had to take a long detour to go around the Elkhorn River. Several companies were traveling the same raute. Buffalo were so numerous that we had plenty of meat and plenty of trouble with stampedes. Several terrifying ones occurred in the darkness of the night and one in the daytime.

"We passed Father Allred's company when they stopped to bury a women who had been killed in the stampede. Two days later, they passed our company when we paused to bury Ellen Kingsley (or Kingston), a young mother with a small baby. Her sister, who was her only relative, was among the company. In her fright during the stampede, Ellen had jumped from the back of the wagon into the path of the oncoming team and was killed instantly. Others might have met the same terrible fate, and more teams (gotten) out of control, had not Frank Olson and his sister Emeline had the presence of mind to leap from their wagon and throw a quilt over the heads of their oxen. Fortunately the team ahead was a span of blind horses and the running was checked."

On leaving the Platte River, the caravan traveled many miles to the northeast, to reach the head of the Elkhorn River in an effort to avoid the treacherous quicksand and dangerous crossings. The strain of travel was somewhat eased when Captain Walton's company finally returned to the Platte River where they met Captain John Brown, agent for the Perpetual Emigration Company, who had come east to conduct a party of emigrants to Utah. From that point they traveled together.

Mrs. Susan Z. Terry wrote: "Captain Brown always stopped and held meeting on Sundays. Our captain, not being a Mormon, generally passed them then but stopped later on where there were trees to rest beneath and water to wash our clothing and soak the wagon wheels. At these times, Captain Brown would pass us. We stopped at the death and burial of Sister William Thompson, who was the mother of four sons, Charles, George, Stephen and Harry." The next experience that saddened their hearts was the death of six-month-old George Ossian, son of Captain Harry Walton and his wife Frances, who died 18 Jun 1851. In sorrow, they left the little grave on the windswept prairie.

"Two days had the train been waiting,
Laid off from the forward tramp,
When the sick child drooped
And died, and they scooped
Out a little grave near camp.

Outside of civilization,
Far from the abode of men,
Where the cactus blows
And the wild sage grows
In the haunts of the wild sage hen,

No trace in the range of vision,
No beautiful flowers bloom,
But a waste of sand
In a dreary land
Surrounds the little tomb."

-John Kaye

Years after Frances' death, the following poignant poem was found in the Bible that she carried across the plains:

"We loved them, yes, we loved them
But Angels loved them more,
And they have gently called them
To yonder shining shore.

The golden gates are opened,
A gentle voice said, 'Come,
And with farewells unspoken,
They calmly entered home."

The threshing machine brought with the Garden Grove Company, was an added responsibility to Captain Harry's duties. Having traveled the road before, he was familiar with the swift flowing rivers, the hot, dry wind that weathered the wooden frame as the sand rolled up over the wheels, and dust that sifted into its every crevice. He knew the dangers of the deep canyons ahead as they neared the Salt Lake Valley. The journey took two months longer than anticipated, and the actual arrival, though historically significant, was far from spectacular. The machine was taken to Mr. Silver's repair shop at Sessions where it was thoroughly overhauled and made ready for the imminent fall threshing. Harry was a carpenter and his first responsibility was the building of a home and a machine shop. Iron was needed for the manufacture of more machines and freighting between Chicago, Omaha, and Salt Lake City was big business, and contributed greatly to the rapid growth and development of the city, and, in fact the whole of Utah Territory. In all Harry made five trips across the plains-one with oxen, and the others with mules.

His son George relates: "Father had eight to ten span of mules hitched to each outfit, which consisted of three, and sometimes four, heavy wagons chained together."

Harry, his eldest son Charles Eugene, and his cousin Charles Card, made the long and hazardous trips together. One of the worst experiences occurred when the two boys made the trip alone. On their way home Charles became ill somewhere east of Evanston, Wyoming and died on the plains. He was buried at Evanston. He was the son of Alonzo and Rosannah (Walton) (Virgin) Card.

In less than four months after their arrival Harry and Frances Walton became members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in substantiation of which a patriarchal blessing is recorded as having been given on 29 January 1852.

In Harry's military record, Harry's name appears on an honor roll of teamsters who, at their own expense, furnished their own horses and all equipment necessary for their service--something otherwise unknown in the history of the Civil War. He served under Major Lot Smith, who was in command of the Utah Volunteers who answered the call of President Lincoln 30 April 1862. "Many were the hardships endured on that memorable campaign."

Harry also served as captain of Company B, First Infantry, under General Daniel H. Wells when they frustrated the plans of Johnston's Army for the 'extermination' of the Saints.

On 18 Feb 1857 the city of Bountiful, a few miles north of Salt Lake City, celebrated the ground-breaking for the erection of a Latter-day Saint tabernacle. Platoons of joyous merrymakers, preceded by flag bearer and drum major representing various organizations of wards and stakes, led the parade.

Amid waving banners, with Captain Harry Walton in the lead, the Corps of Mounted Riflemen came smartly down the street to the accompaniment of the rhythmic 'boom, boom, boom' of the drums in the brass band. The day of rejoicing and celebration ended with an outdoor picnic. That historic building, erected 112 years ago, still stands. With later improvements, including the landscaping of the full city block, it stands as a suitable monument to the enduring workmanship of those pioneer builders.

In obedience to the law of plural marriage which Harry believed to be right, he married as his plural wife, an attractive English girl named Mary Ann Lovelace. She was familiarly known as Mary Ann Briggs because she was brought up by her aunt, Susannah Vine Preston (later Briggs), with whom she came to the United States. They were passengers on the ship Siddons which sailed from Liverpool 27 February 1855. Shipping records show Susannah Preston's age as 57, from 117 Clawson Street; Mary Ann Lovelace, age 15.

They crossed the plains in Captain Richard Ballentine's emigration company that reached Salt Lake City 25 September 1855. The arrival of 402 immigrants with ox-teams, horses, cattle, and much equipment, was a spectacular sight and made headlines in the Deseret News on that day. The brass band, under the capable leadership of William Pitt, met the caravan at Willow Springs and with lively music escorted them as they jolted down the dusty city streets to Union Square. There they were given a hearty welcome by Brigham Young, president of the Church and former governor of Utah Territory. Other Church officials were to greet them, as well as many friends who had preceded them to Zion.

Two years later, 8 January 1857, Harry and Mary Ann were sealed in eternal marriage in the office of President Brigham Young. The marriage was witnessed by Joseph Young. Mary Ann's birth date was recorded as 15 November 1840, and the place of birth as Shelford, London, England.

Their daughter, Adelaide Augusta, who was born in Bountiful in 1857 died two years later. Family letters of that time reveal that Susannah Vine Preston (now Briggs) was going to Denver, Colorado. Mary left Harry and accompanied her aunt. Sometime later she married Charles Helm of that city or of Silverton, Colorado. She died in Kansas City where her son and two daughters were living.

On 15 February 1862 Harry married Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of James and Judith (Edgerton) Harrison of Wolverton, Hampshire, England. She sailed on the ship Manchester with her mother and stepfather, Richard Warwick. Among her brothers and sisters who also came was Thomas, who wrote about their trip to Utah by train, ox-team, and on foot. Some years after this, Harry and his family moved to Woodruff, Utah when the road was little more than a buffalo trail. In a letter written by his daughter Martha Vail, she said:

"When I was three years and eight months old, we moved to Woodruff, Utah. Father drove two span of mules-a little pair of brown ones and a pair of mismatched grays, one little and one big. One of them got his shoe caught in under the rail in crossing the railroad track. Your Uncle Fon (William Alphonso) pulled the shoe off and we just got across the track when the train came along there at Devil's Gate. The road is moved now from where it was then."

Devil's Gate is a narrow passage in Weber Canyon where it was very difficult for the pioneers to get through. The original main track of the Union Pacific was constructed through Morgan County in 1869, and the second main track in 1926.

The first home of the Harry Walton family in Woodruff, Martha describes as one room with a thatch roof and straw floor. She says:

"We lived in Woodruff for 17 years when we moved to Star Valley in Wyoming. While we lived in Bountiful, Father and his brothers built threshing machines for which Mother wove the riddles or coarse sieves which separated the grain from the chaff. One day she injured her finger which caused a bad felon. Later a piece of bone worked out and left a big crease in the end of her finger."

Martha had tender memories of her mother, who, with Harry, outlived eight of their children. One son, Parley Leroy, was accidentally shot soon after his return from serving a mission for the Church.

Those who were acquainted with Harry's first wife, Frances, knew her as a friendly, refined woman. Their views on plural marriage became inharmonious and she severed their marriage relations.

Frances wore her long brown hair parted in the middle, upswept, coiled in a bun and crowned with a beautiful, jeweled, fan-shaped comb. Only close friends ever suspected that the elegant coiffure lay on the dresser at night. Her beautiful, long, white aprons were crisp and immaculate.

Before Harry moved from Bountiful he received a letter from Box B, the office of Brigham Young. He held it thoughtfully in his hand. The special message proved to be a call to serve in the Eastern States Mission, which he accepted with all his heart. He was among eight thousand Saints who sat in General Conference in the new tabernacle on 8 October 1869, waiting to hear Brigham Young's opening address. The minutes of that meeting record that the invocation was given by Wilford Woodruff, following which George Q. Cannon announced the missionary calls. Harry's name was among those called to serve. The choir's rendition of "How Beautiful Upon the Mountain" filled his heart with peace and invited his soul to prayer. He was ready to go. Two days later he received a blessing under the hands of Orson Pratt. Through the years he bore testimony of his joy in that mission.

Harry and his sons were pioneer cattlemen and ranchers. Their homes being adjacent allowed for family gatherings on various holidays, at which Frances and her second husband were usually honored guests. In his generous heart Harry never blamed Frances, the woman he had always loved, for their separation.

Years later when Frances lived in Logan, she was cared for by her granddaughter Effie Darley, and during her last illness she was tenderly watched over by her son Joseph's wife, Annie. Her death occurred on 5 August 1912, and her burial took place on the ninth.

Harry never knew a sick day in his life until three weeks before his death with Annie at his bedside. She listened to his last words which told of his love for Frances. "She will come back to me," he said, and peacefully fell asleep. He died 3 Oct 1907 and was buried in the Auburn Cemetery beside his wife Sara Elizabeth.

Harry is our Third Great Grandfather Parents: Arthur WALTON and Martha Ann WALTON.

He was married to Frances Newell TAYLOR on 10 Jun 1843 in Mexico, Oxford Co., Maine. Children were: Charles Eugene WALTON Sr., Harrison A. WALTON, John WALTON, George Ossian WALTON, Arthur E. WALTON, Albert V. WALTON, Frances Adeline WALTON, William Alphonso WALTON , George Washington WALTON, Joseph Henry WALTON, Alvin A. WALTON.

He was married to Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON on 15 Feb 1862. Children were: Adelaide WALTON, Sarah Helen WALTON, Jane Harrison WALTON, Martha Ann WALTON, Eva Leone WALTON, William David WALTON, John Harrison WALTON, Robert Clarence WALTON, Minnie Elizabeth WALTON , Rosella Jane WALTON, Parley Leroy WALTON, Silas Ray WALTON.

He was married to Mary Ann LOVELESS on 8 Jan 1857 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.

bullet Alice WALWYN died on 22 Oct 1518. She was born in Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England. Parents: William WALWYN and Elizabeth (Walwyn).

She was married to Thomas BAYNHAM [ESQUIRE] about 1470. Children were: Elizabeth BAYNHAM, Jane BAYNHAM, Anne BAYNHAM, Isabell BAYNHAM, Sir Christopher BAYNHAM (Knight), Agnes (Susanna) BAYNHAM.

bullet Fulk WALWYN

bulletWilliam WALWYN was born about 1431 in Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England.

Children were: Alice WALWYN.

bulletAnn WARD was born on 4 Oct 1792 in Lestershire, England.

Children were: Thomas HICKEN.

bulletHanah WARD.

She was married to Josuah TORREY on 26 Nov 1753.

bullet Lascelle WARDWELL (WARDELL) was born in 1566 in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. He died in Alford, Lincoln, England. Parents: William WODELL and Merible LASCELL.

He was married to Mrs Lascelle WODELL.

bullet Gershom WARDWELL (WODELL) was born in 1568 in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. Parents: William WODELL and Merible LASCELL.

He was married to Mrs Lascelle WODELL .

bulletRosanna WARDWELL (WODELL) was born in 1570 in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. She died in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. Parents: William WODELL and Merible LASCELL.

She was married to Mr. WAITE in England. Children were: Mehitable WAITE, Richard WAITE OR WAYTE, Gamiel WAITE, Thomas WAITE, Eleanor WAIT.

bullet Rebecca WARE was born about 1620 in Wrentham, Suffolk, England. She died in 1688.

She was married to Thomas PAINE in 1640. Children were: Rebecca PAINE, John PAYNE, Elizabeth PAYNE.

bullet Ralph de WARENNE (WARREN) was born about 1115 in Vermandois, Normandy, France. Parents: William II de WARENNE (WARREN) Earl/Surrey .

bullet Reginald de WARENNE (WARREN) was born about 1113 in Vermandois, Normandy, France. Parents: William II de WARENNE (WARREN) Earl/Surrey .

bullet William II de WARENNE (WARREN) Earl/Surrey was born about 1081 in Sussex, England. He died on 11 May 1138 in England. Parents: William de WARREN (WARENNE) [Earl/Surrey] and Gundred Princess Of ENGLAND [Cts/Surrey].

He was married about 1109 in France. Children were: William III de WARREN [Earl/Surrey], Reginald de WARENNE (WARREN), Ralph de WARENNE (WARREN), Gundred de WARENNE [Cts/Warwick] , Ada (Adeline) de WARREN [Cts/Huntingdon].

bullet Gundred de WARENNE [Cts/Warwick] was born between 1117 and 1119 in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. She died about 1166 in Warwick, Warwickshire, England. Parents: William II de WARENNE (WARREN) Earl/Surrey.

bullet Ralph de WARENNE was born about 998 in France. Parents: William de WARENNE and de TORTA.

He was married to Emma. Children were: William de WARREN (WARENNE) [Earl/Surrey], Ralph de WARREN.

bullet William de WARENNE was born about 950 in Normandy, France. Parents: Walter de ST. MARTIN.

He was married to de TORTA . Children were: Ralph de WARENNE.

Back Back       Next Next