bullet Thomas WALLER

He was married to Margaret BARRETT LENNARD on 5 Sep 1593 in Sevenoaks, Kent, England.

bullet Beatrix De WALLEYS

She was married to Reginald COKAYNE about 1428 in Glyna-Sussex, England.


bulletJoan WALSH was born about 1445 in Marsh, Dorsetshire, England.

She was married to John FAUNTLEROY in Dorsetshire, England. Children were: Agnes FAUNTLEROY.

bullet Guilford WALSINGHAM

He was married to Mary LENNARD on 27 Dec 1579.

bullet Agnes WALTER

She was married to William AMES on 11 Oct 1586 in Bruton, Somersetshire, England.

bullet Polly WALTER

bulletAdelaide WALTON was born in 1858. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Albert V. WALTON was born on 2 Oct 1854. He died on 9 Oct 1856 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

bullet Alvin A. WALTON was born on 24 Nov 1864. He died on 12 Dec 1864. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR .

bullet Andrew WALTON was born about 1538 in Queenslittle, England. Parents: William WALTON and Margaret DYES.

He was married to Joan CLERKS on 18 Nov 1562. Children were: William WALTON.

bullet Andrew Jackson WALTON Photo was born on 12 May 1835 in Mexico, Oxford Co., Maine. Parents: Arthur WALTON and Martha Ann WALTON.

He was married to Harriet NOBLE on 6 Jul 1874 in Cleveland, Emery Co., Utah.

bullet Arthur WALTON Photo was born on 10 Jun 1802 in Paris, Oxford Co., Maine. He died on 9 May 1877 in Richmond, Cache Co., Utah.
Arthur Walton, son of Simeon and Margaret Hannaford, was born 10 Jun 1802 at Paris, Maine. He was 19 when he and his cousin, Martha Walton, were married 6 Dec 1821, in Mexico, Maine. Martha was born 3 Nov 1798 at Alstead, New Hampshire. Their first home was built among the fragrant pines of the Swift River valley. When the community was incorporated, the village was named Mexico.

In his youth Arthur had had many exciting experiences in the logging camps of Maine and Nova Scotia while engaged in cutting timber to be used in building ships. He told of his searching through the heavily timbered mountains to find the perfect, straight trees for the masts for sailing vessels. Masting poles were marked with the king's arrow so that the axe men could detect them easily. They were shipped to England where they were made into masts for battleships and merchant men. Arthur said it sometimes took a whole winter to find a masting pole. He told of riding the floating logs down the rivers to the shipyards on the seacoast.

Soon after his marriage, Arthur purchased 50 acres of land lying on the east side of Swift River from Martha's brother, Artemas, and another piece of equal size on the west side from Reuben, at a cost of $150.00 each.

Arthur was a member of the board of selectmen for the years 1838-1839. A notice posted on the door of the schoolhouse near Isaac Harlow's place notified the citizens that a meeting would be held on the 5th of March for the purpose of electing town officers. The minutes show that "Arthur Walton was voted surveyor of highways."

He served two years as private in the Mexico Village militia under the command of Capt. John G. Brainard. The regiment was formed from a group of Rumford infantry, for the protection of the northeastern frontier, and was mustered into service on 6 Mar 1839, and discharged 29 Nov the same year. Enlisted in the some company were Arthur's brother-in-law, Samuel Walton, nephews Sylvester J. Smith, George and Charles Walton, the army musician.

The community boasted a debating society known as the Mock Legislature. Some of the members had actually served in the state legislature, and proceedings in the debates presented by the society, were patterned after those in that august state body.

A tragedy stunned the whole community when the Walton's only daughter, three-year-old Margaret, was drowned while attempting to cross Swift River at a shallow ford. The water was scarcely ankle-deep, but the swift current swept the little girl off her feet and carried her a quarter of a mile downstream to the narrows where the waters, held back by the narrow passage, collected in a deep hollow in the rocks before plunging ten feet down into the vortex below.

A man with a rope tied around his body dived into the dark, swirling waters and brought the tiny body to the surface. They gently laid the child on a great flat rock where grief stricken family and friends tried in vain to restore her to life.

Beginning about 1800 a great, restless spirit of migration gripped the people of the eastern states, and in ever increasing numbers they headed for the fertile lands lying along the eastern side of the Mississippi River, then the western border of the United Stares. Arthur and Martha felt this urgency, too, and left their lovely home to follow the beckoning hand of adventure into the vastness of the unsettled western frontier.

They had heard the message of the elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Arthur, Martha, and two of her sisters were baptized in the Swift River on the same day in August, 1842. The events of that day changed their whole lives and were responsible for their decision to move to the valleys of the Rocky Mountains.

The last mention of their names in the records of Mexico, Maine, was on 10 Jun 1843 when their son, William Harrison, and Frances Newell Taylor were married. Two years later they, with their family, were on their way west.

William Harrison (Harry) Walton, a government guard, who traversed the country from coast to coast, was well qualified, as captain of the Garden Grove Company (which included others besides the Walton family) to take emigrants into the valley of the Great Salt Lake.

The caravan started with Levi Wheeler and family of Aroostook, Maine in July, 1845. At Chester, Penobscot County, they were joined by Sylvester J. Smith and family. The project was more fully organized at Mexico where the three Walton families-those of Arthur, Samuel, and Harrison (Harry)--joined the caravan. Teenage boys and girls included Dana, Andrew Jackson, Benjamin C., Samuel A., plus Samanthy, Hester Ann, Elizabeth, and, perhaps, Rosannah, Grace, and Hannah. When the wagons began to roll there were 14 families, totaling 60 persons in all.

The spirited horses, like their drivers, were anxious to start. Substantial covered wagons were loaded with household necessities and provisions of all sorts. Crates of noisy, fluttering chickens were tied securely to the backs of the wagons, where cows were tethered; some treasured keepsake or slips of favorite plant or shrub were nourished on the way, but few of such unnecessary things could be allowed. This was serious business, and survival was the foremost thought in their minds.

Cheers and tears mingled in the last goodbyes and one by one the heavy wagons pulled out onto the dusty road. Young hearts with high hopes looked confidently to the future.

They traveled in a southeasterly direction until they reached Bangor, where Levi Wheeler purchased a fine team of purebred horses which later figured in a near tragedy.

The next town through which they passed was Rutland, Vermont where they fell in with other companies bound for the same destination: the Mississippi River. The route they set took them through Saratoga Springs, the now famous health resort, not far from Albany, New York where they rested for a few days, looked over their company in general, and, as one remarked, "break the monotony of emigrant life."

Dr. Smith wrote: "We drank freely of the mineral waters, and around the campfire speculated on the origin of curiously formed Turkey Foot Rock. The following morning, going down the mountainside, we beheld a most beautiful sight. Many more emigrant wagons had joined the caravan, and as far as the eye could see, the long line of covered wagons wound their way across the beautiful Mohawk Valley."

On a hot July day the caravan entered the state of Ohio near Mentor, Lake County. Martha was delighted and remarked that it would be a beautiful place to build a home. A gentle breeze from Lake Erie and the mellow rays of the setting sun tempered the atmosphere which, after a long day, was refreshing to everyone. Sylvester records: "We arranged the wagons in a great circle, picketed the horses and pitched our tents within the enclosure. This encampment was on a beautiful grassy plot lightly covered with native oak. The children were soon climbing trees and romping in gleeful abandon that only they can express. Some of the men and boys gathered dead timber for campfires while others set off for nearby farms to buy supplies for the evening meal. Supper over, they all gathered around the campfires and told stories and sang songs until the embers dimmed and all was dark except for the stars which kept their heavenly vigil while the weary travelers slept.

"At dawn, all was astir with a spirited morning bustle as the tantalizing aroma of frying bacon came lightly on the vagrant breeze. After breakfast, the wagons were quickly readied, the horses hitched and soon the caravan was in motion."

Continuing across northern Ohio, they crossed the Sandusky River at Freemont. From there they took the road to Perrysville on the Maumee River, a distance of 40 miles which required many days of travel. Here terrible rains came and swamps engulfed their wagons to the hubs. Mosquitoes came in such unbelievable swarms that one could scarcely tell the color of the horses they tormented. One woman wrote of the furious winds that ripped up their tents and carried off their wagon covers. They wrote of the heavy rain and water so deep that their skirts were fringed with mud.

Again Dr. Smith takes up the story: "Swanton, Ohio, at sunset was beautiful. Driving a little west of town, our wagons were soon arranged in the usual circle on a grassy plot where the road sweeps around a marsh in front of the town. Supper over we gathered around the campfires, and being in high spirits, because of excellent progress after passing the bad roads and swamps, we sang songs and speculated about our new homes in the west.

"After retiring, we had just fallen asleep, when a man in great haste, hailed us with the distressing news that our horses had escaped from the pasture we had hired and had been seen traveling back on the road that we had just passed over a few hours before. Dressing hastily, we ran to the pasture where we found the gate open and all the horses gone. For a time we were at a loss to know what to do. The night was dark and we were in a strange country, unacquainted with the roads and the people. We decided to make a more thorough search and finally located all the animals except the span of purebred bays, the prize beauties Levi Wheeler had purchased at Bangor.

"Levi hired the man who had informed us of the trouble, and with his team and buggy hoped to travel fast enough to soon overtake the horses. However, they drove all the way back to Maumee without locating them. Altogether, they spent four days in the search. It was later proved that the man who had informed us was in cahoots with the hotel keeper who rented us the pasture. They had stolen the horses and made up the story about seeing the horses on the road, then taken Levi off in the wrong direction purposely to throw him off. When he suspected this, Levi offered fifty dollars to induce the thieves to return the horses, which they did.

"After this delay, the company resumed the journey and soon overtook a German man with his wife and daughter, who were also going west, and had camped at the same place at Swanton. The woman told how she and her daughter had seen and heard two men with lanterns in hand, go up to the horses, tie ropes around their necks and lead them off. Then they sat up all night to be sure that their horses weren't stolen. They said they didn't dare tell anyone until they were out of reach of the horse thieves.

"Leaving Ohio, we entered the state of Michigan and traveled along near the southern boundary. This was new country and we saw much land in its wild state, generally high and rolling and covered with a growth of maple, beech, and oak timber. We all thought that we had never seen a more enticing place to live. For a price, farmers were generous with fresh garden vegetables, including new potatoes. Some of our party wanted to stay but others did not, so we moved on together.

"We entered Illinois through Chicago which, at that time, was only a nest of squat houses in the mud. Passing on through, we camped for the night at Joliet. Again we had to decide what to do about continuing our journey. It was 2 Oct 1845, and our destination was the Mississippi River. The route we had set would take us through Ottawa, Peru and on to Rock Island, but our money was running low. However, we decided to go on to Rock Island where we found the harvest in full swing.

"Although wearied from our journey of 102 days, we soon were engaged in the first work we could get-hauling corn. Driving over the prairie with our horses, and being beaten in travel time by native oxen surprised us and gave us a new appreciation of those lowly beasts. After a day's work, we returned with our wages paid in corn--about 20 bushels. To an eastern man who reckoned the price of corn at a dollar a bushel, as he was accustomed to doing, it was sufficient incentive to diligently pursue the work. It must be wonderful, we thought, for a man to drive out 16 miles and haul a load of corn, half of which we received as wages. But when a couple of hundred bushels of the golden grain was dumped before his tent, and he offered to sell it, he found that all he could get was six or seven cents a bushel-and that in goods of poor quality at fabulous prices--he realized fully the futility of his labors.

"Winter was fast approaching, and fuel must be obtained for heating and cooking. As driftwood had been collected to the lost stick by those who had gone this way before, buffalo chips offered the next best choice, and were eagerly searched for."

"The story can never be fully told. It is impossible, with pen, to describe the unrest, the cold and bitter winds, the miserable shelters, the shortage of food and clothing these homesick migrants endured in this strange country." Such extreme hardships forced the company to break up at Rock Island. Samuel Walton left his wife Susan and their children with his brother-in-law Arthur, while he went on ahead to see if he could find work. This came in the form of carpenter work on the Nauvoo Temple which was being built at that time. About a year later, when Susan went to that place to find him, the exodus, so well recorded in history, was at its peak, and Samuel could not be found. They heard that he had gone to Carthage, where they thought he might have perished at the hands of a mob, for, as his children said, "We never saw Father again."

Samuel had been baptized in Nauvoo 31 August 1840, and his death from typhus fever was recorded 24 Aug 1845, age 43 years.

During the crucial time that this company was traveling from Maine to Illinois, a nation was on the move and there was a great quickening of religious thought among the people. Rival religionists held revivals that swept the country with a zealous fervor, especially in the eastern section. Open air camp meetings, which drew large crowds and lasted for days, were conducted by renowned evangelists. Sylvester Smith relates that, "We attended many such meetings and listened to these ministers, J. H. Jones, Alexander Campbell, founder of Disciples of Christ, Isaac Everton, and others who possessed magnetic powers of oratory. One day Phineas Young, a brother of Brigham, came to Pawpaw Grove on his way home from Palestine where he had gone on a mission in the interest of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A violent blizzard came up and he was forced to seek refuge in the nearest place that could be found."

The expulsion of the Saints from Nauvoo was heartbreaking. On the morning of 4 Feb 1846, in the dead of winter, the men drove their oxen with loaded wagons onto the Mississippi River ferry. With anxious hearts they steered their heavy load across the mile-wide river. Some made the hazardous trip in safety; other not so fortunate capsized, dumping food, bedding, and supplies into the icy, swirling torrent. The ferry was taxed to the limit, and fear gripped their hearts each time it left the shore.

About two weeks later when scarcely settled in their rudely constructed camp at Montrose, Iowa, a howling blizzard struck without warning, leaving snow piled high, and greatly increasing their misery. As the weather turned bitterly cold, thick ice spanned the river from bank to bank. Dismay filled the hearts of the people until they suddenly realized that the ice would be a great blessing in speeding up their exodus.

The need for haste was due to pressure from the enemy. Every solemn agreement that had been made was disregarded by the enemy. Many of the Saints left beautiful brick homes, plus farms, crops, and livestock which the enemy knew they did not have to buy, and many less fortunate were without tents or sufficient food, clothing, and bedding to protect them from their worst enemies: cold and hunger. Jane Young said, "Children cried from the cold and tents were cheerless." Historians have written, "There is no parallel in world history to that which forced the migration from Nauvoo." At that time the population of that beautiful city of Nauvoo was about 20,000 souls.

The lamentable conditions of hunger and want among the Saints encamped at Montrose, Iowa, through the hospitality of that state, was met by their new leader, Brigham Young, the new president of the Church. Men of experience were recruited to perform the type of work best suited to their particular talents.

Arthur and his family had joined the refugees at Montrose where he and his sons Harry, Dana, and Andrew, all expert mechanics, built a blacksmith shop and foundry. Soon the sound of hammer and anvil rang out as the welding of tires, mending of wagons, making of wheels, and shoeing of horses went on day after day. In the little town of Montrose, only nine miles from the beautiful city of Nauvoo which they had so recently left, a threshing machine, every cog and wheel of which was born of Dana's ingenuity, was under construction and was destined to play an important role in the building of Utah.

Five years of experience and preparation lay behind Arthur and his sons when they, with their families, drove out of Montrose on that sunny April morning in 1851, resuming their interrupted journey west. As they traveled the heavy wheels of the threshing machine cut deep ruts in the prairie roads. Before they reached their destination they forded dangerous rivers, their horses lunging to keep their heads above water; they jolted down rocky canyon trails with wheels locked to keep the machine from tipping over.

After they left Winter Quarters in southern Missouri, it was necessary to travel 200 miles off the regular route to avoid recent floods, high water, and washouts. In taking that route, they encountered treacherous areas of quicksand that must be avoided, and the cumbersome threshing machine added to their anxiety. This route traversed many miles of sand dunes whipped by such furious winds that the flying sand stung their faces and nearly blinded the eyes of the horses and their drivers. The sand rolled up over the wheels and into the wagons. Children coughed and cried, and mothers scolded and comforted.

The party finally got back to the Platte River, and with a prayer of gratitude, the weary travelers stopped and camped on the trail of the first pioneers. Captain Harry Walton's company pitched their tents beside Captain John Brown's company and from there on they traveled the rest of the way together.

The Walton machine was portable, with a power sweep, and was propelled by 12 horses. It was the first of its kind to be brought across the plains. In regard to this event the source further stares that "a large company of Saints arrived in Great Salt Lake (1851) from the States bringing a threshing machine. This was the Garden Grove Company captained by Harry Walton." This is in harmony with journals kept by the family. Salt Lake City was then part of Mexico.

The threshing machine was hauled to the stacked grain in the farmyard and when attached to the power sweep, was ready for action. Through the courtesy of the J.I. Case Machine Company at Racine, Wisconsin, a model of the machine made by Arthur and his sons was shown in the company "Pageant of Progress" catalog of 1837-1937. The advent of the Walton threshing machine in September, 1851, and that of Christopher Layton in September, 1852, was received with much enthusiasm by President Brigham Young and the jubilant wheat-forming community. Compared with the scythe and flail, its performance was nothing less than miraculous.., an epochal accomplishment of the pioneers of Utah.

Arthur's wife, Martha, died in the spring of 1853, at the age of 55, only a year and a half after their arrival in the Salt Lake Valley. She had lived an exemplary life and had reared her sons in an atmosphere of love and faith in God.

Martha's death occurred in Bountiful. Their son, Andrew, then 18, was at home, and his tender care at her bedside was a touching tribute of his love. "Her memory lives in the boundless measure of the love she gave." Arthur and all his children were together when they laid her to rest in the Logan Cemetery. Arthur remarried another widow, Rebecca, whose husband and some of her children had been killed in a steamboat explosion on the Mississippi while migrating west.

In the spring of 1854 the crops seemed to promise a bountiful harvest but as summer approached the rains failed to come and grasshoppers devastated the fields. Again the following year the same conditions prevailed, forcing the half-starving people to subsist on wild sego lily roots which they dug from the hills, wild berries, and, if fortunate, an occasional rabbit. That year of near starvation was followed by a terrible winter. Dana said that the snow fell to a depth of six feet, and livestock, weak from lack of forage, floundered in the deep drifts and froze to death.

During these trying conditions the "Utah War" was brewing in Washington, D.C., and government troops under General Albert S. Johnston were on their way to Utah. Mail carriers arrived from Independence, Missouri, without the mail. Brigham Young had not been informed of the government's military intentions, and the first intimations that anything was wrong reached him while the Saints were enjoying an outing in Big Cottonwood Canyon on 24 July 1857 in celebration of the entry of the first pioneers in Salt Lake Valley. This was an alarming message informing him that a powerful contingent of the United Stares Army was nearing Fort Bridger in southwestern Wyoming. They all hurried back to the city where plans were made for the immediate evacuation of some 30,000 people, and as expeditiously carried out.

Only a portion of this tragic story of these heroic people is told in Bancroft's History of Utah, in which he describes them as hastily filling in the excavation for the basement of the temple, boarding up windows and burying treasures, filling their houses, churches, and public building with straw ready for the torch rather than see one of them occupied by the army. Then hastily loading what they could into available wagons, the inhabitants fled southward to endure their exile as best they could.

The people were poorly prepared for this indignity. Their oxen and horses, cattle, and other animals were lean and jaded from the long, hard winter, followed by a summer of meager grass and other forage. The shortage of wagon transportation and the overloading of those they did have, caused many, even women and children, to walk. Describing this unparalelled exodus, Governor Cummings, who had succeeded Brigham Young, sped this message to General Albert S. Johnston:

"I regret...the announcement of the fact that will occasion great concern. The people, including the inhabitants of the city, are moving from every settlement in the northern part of the territory. The roads are everywhere filled with wagons loaded with provisions and household furniture. The women and children, often without shoes and hats, are driving their flocks they know not where. They seem not only resigned, but cheerful ... Many believe their ultimate destination to be Sonora (Mexico.)"

The story of such hardship involving so great a number of refugees on that precipitous flight has been recorded by historians and immortalized in the hearts of their posterity. The Walton family was among those who made that difficult journey.

Unknown to these persecuted wanderers, the truth was discovered that President Buchanan's administration was being unmercifully reprimanded by influential newspapers and powerful politicians throughout the east, who were demanding the fullest investigation of the purpose for sending the best equipped army in the United States, without the consent of Congress, into the far western territory of Utah, and at such tremendous cost to the government.

When peace was assured, General Johnston marched his troops through the deserted streets of Salt Lake City and established Camp Floyd 30 miles southwest in Cedar Valley. In his Founding of Utah, Levi Edgar Young recoils, "During the two years the army was stationed there, the camp furnished an excellent market for the produce of the Mormon farmers who profited greatly from President Buchanan's extravagant expedition. Army wagons, harness and other useful articles were taken in exchange for hay and flour."

The Deseret News of 14 Jul 1858 announced the return of The First Presidency of the Church from Southern Utah. Among those who soon followed were the Walton families. The names of Walton men are linked with the colonization of the west as planned by Brigham Young. They helped in the settlement of Rich, Davis, Cache, Morgan, Carbon, and San Juan Counties, the latter being the most difficult assignment ever given any group by President Young.

In 1859, following their self-imposed exile, the Walton family settled in Richmond, Cache County. Arthur and his sons helped build the fort within which the settlers built their log cabins. At night guards were posted to spread the alarm in case of threatened attack by the Indians. Arthur and George Thompson served as Minute Men on the Home Guard, of which Dana was captain.

F. A. Blair, who also helped build the old fort, and who in 1940 was the last survivor of the old settlers, adds this bit of history: "When the people moved out of the fort, Mr. Walton settled two blocks south and one west of where the bank now stands. Later he moved east of Richmond and farmed where George Webb now resides."

Now that the threshing machine business was ended, it became necessary to find employment elsewhere and families said their sad farewells at the old homestead on Cherry Creek.

In regard to his personal appearance, his neighbor, Mr. Blair, said that Arthur was of light complexion, wore a full beard, and was slightly stooped. He also said that he was an honest, hard working man respectfully spoken of as 'Dad' Walton.

Others mentioned his quiet reserve and his integrity in dealings with his fellow men. Though backward in public speaking he left a lasting legacy of some of the finest principles of the early pioneers--hard work, honesty, and an unfaltering faith in God.

Arthur is our 4th Great Grandfather Parents: Simeon WALTON and Margaret HANNAFORD.

He was married to Martha Ann WALTON in 1821. Children were: William Harrison WALTON, Margaret WALTON, Dana WALTON, Andrew Jackson WALTON.

bullet Arthur E. WALTON was born on 3 Jun 1852. He died on 19 Dec 1864. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR .

bullet Benjamin WALTON was born in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

bullet Charles Eugene WALTON Sr. Photo was born on 24 Aug 1847 in Paw Paw, Lee Co., Illinois. He died on 14 Dec 1923 in Logan, Cache Co., Utah.
Charles Eugene Walton, son of William Harrison and Frances Newell Taylor, was born 24 August 1847 at Pawpaw Grove, Illinois, and came to Utah with his parents in the Garden Grove Company in 1851. When he was living in Bountiful, an interesting experience came into his life. His diary relates:

"In the spring of 1866 1 was called to go to Nebraska and bring a company of immigrants to Salt Lake City. I drove a four mule team to Omaha then went south to Nebraska City where the company was waiting to be picked up. I got home in October of that same year."

These travelers were of the poor of the Church who were being assisted under the Perpetual Emigration Fund Company. The wagon train in which Charles Eugene was called to help was the largest ever sent out by the Church. Milton R. Hunter (Utah, the Story of Her people, p. 268) wrote:

"The largest wagon train assisting immigrants to Utah was organized in 1866. Ten separate companies including 456 teamsters, 3, 042 oxen, 397 wagons, 89 horses, 134 mules besides 49 mounted guards are said to have assisted that year in bringing settlers to Utah."

On 23 February 1867 Charles Eugene Walton and Jane McKechnie were married. She was the daughter of John and Jane Bee McKechnie. Her mother was a daughter of George and Janet Aitchinson Bee, and a granddaughter of William Bee.

In June, 1870 Charles Eugene and Jane moved to Bear River Valley seeking land for a new home. In 1871 they, with their three children and his parents (William Harrison and Frances Walton) moved to a place in the valley where they helped establish the settlement of Woodruff, Utah. On 4 Mar 1872 Charles Eugene was appointed road supervisor. He was apparently a storekeeper as he mentions in his diary that in 1876 his store was organized into a cooperative, In the summer of 1878 he recorded in his diary:

"Father and I went to Ogden to work on Uncle Andrew Walton's threshing machine. We arrived the first of August and commenced work that day. We threshed around Ogden and Plain City all fall and then returned to Woodruff." In the fall of 1879 the Charles Eugene family was one of 80 families called by President John Taylor to go to San Juan County to settle that part of Utah. On 1 October 1879 he took his family, and in company with Samuel Bryson, began the long and hard journey. He wrote:

"Our outfit consisted of a pair of wild bulls, a yoke of wild steers, four horses, a mare and colt and 30 head of stock." After traveling many days they reached what was then known as "Forty Mile Springs" where they joined the company that had been called from other districts to colonize the "San Juan Mission." While they camped at Forty Mile Springs explorers were sent ahead to lay out a route for the continuance of the journey. They returned with the disheartening report that "a bird couldn't fly over the route; it looks impossible to take a team over it."

Only men of great experience, men with faith, determination, and with a real willingness to cooperate could have accomplished the task of building a road through the dangerous rocky terrain that lay between them and their destination. Levi Edgar Young in The Founding of Utah, p. 236, said, "it is probable that no colonizers of the West ever had greater difficulties in building roads than had the pioneers of San Juan."

They left Forty Mile Springs, and after weeks of hard travel, battling storms, cold and hot winds, mud and dust, they reached the great Colorado River, or rather, reached the edge of the plateau above the river chasm. There, on the windy desert near the edge of the canyon wall, these weary pioneers camped six weeks with only the shelter of tents and wagon covers to protect them. They gathered the desert brush to keep their campfires burning. Water was scarce as evidenced by the notation in the journal of Kuman Jones: "We rejoiced when the early wet snow fell. As it melted it filled the holes in the rocks and furnished culinary water for at least a day."

Daily they discussed the problem of how they would get their wagons across that mighty chasm. Great discouragement and pessimism prevailed. Some wanted to abandon the project and seek another route, but winter was upon them and snow covered the mountains at their backs. Trapped and running short of food, they ground horse feed in coffee mills with which to make their bread. In this great emergency, their leaders called a prayer meeting, and over 200 discouraged souls knelt in united supplication to their Heavenly Father. Captain Silas Smith, in his humble appeal, said, "Let's give it a trial."

Bishop Jens Nielson prophesied that if the company would proceed as they had been called to do, that a road would be made and a crop raised in the San Juan Mission next year. The people, feeling the truth of, his promise, spontaneously burst into AA song and the reassuring words of that stirring hymn, "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning" echoed through the evening air.

With hope renewed, their spirits lifted. That may have been one of the nights that, with small campfires burning, they danced in the moonlight, with happier hearts than they had had for a long time. Eugene and a few others in the company tuned their violins. It is heartwarming to think of music and hand clapping and perhaps on occasion "Yippee" from the lips of young men whose lives were dedicated to reclaiming the wilderness of San Juan County. Next morning at sunrise the camp was bustling with preparations for the crossing of the Colorado. In their hazardous zig-zag down the steep incline, nine horses were lost but the feat was accomplished without the loss of one human life. They had conquered. In January, 1880 they crossed the mighty Colorado.

On 6 April 1880, they reached their destination at a spot they called Bluff. Their first necessity was to get ditches dug to haul water for irrigating the valley. Eugene wrote: "We raised the crop that year that Bishop Nielson promised we would raise." The next project was building the fort in which they lived during 1880 and 1881. That year they surveyed a town site and began to build on lots outside the fort. Bluff was situated under the bluffs and cliffs overlooking the San Juan River. Cottonwood trees growing in abundance lent cooling shade and dead timber was gathered for fuel. Rock in abundance furnished material for building their homes which strung in a line along the bank of the river. The thrifty pioneers were enterprising in building reservoirs to conserve the precious water and increase the value of their land by irrigation.

In 1880 less than three weeks after they had settled there, the governor and legislature of the Utah Territory designated Bluff as the seat of San Juan County, and a selectman, superintendent of schools, and other officers were chosen, Silas S. Smith was appointed probate judge, and Charles Eugene Walton, Sr., as county clerk. The latter was also sustained as stake clerk when the first LDS organization was effected. He was one of the directors in the San Juan Go-operative Company organized in 1882, which paid an annual dividend of forty percent and continued in business until January, 1920. (Andrew Jensen, Church Historian)

The people suffered many hardships and severe losses to property due to the overflow of the San Juan River. Often the water rose so high in the ditches that dams were broken and soil and crops were washed away. Because of this the people decided to break vp the mission and move to a more favorable location. The President of the Church sent Joseph F. Smith of the Council of the Twelve to Bluff to investigate the situation and release the people if he thought it proper to do so. After holding conference in which divine guidance was humbly invoked, President Smith came to the conclusion that the people should remain in Bluff and hold the mission intact.

Nevertheless, those who wished to move away were released with the blessing of The First Presidency, but he promised that those who would remain would be doubly blessed. A few left, but Charles Eugene Walton elected to cast his lot with the majority who accepted their leader's decision. Joseph F. Smith, personally, had asked him to stay. In his diary he wrote: "I told him would, and I have never regretted it for the Lord has prospered us as Brother Joseph F. said He would."

The mighty Colorado and San Juan Rivers were conquered in this great pioneer venture. An entry in his diary seven years later, 9 March 1887, concerned "a settlement in North Montezuma." At that time he, with a few older men of experience and some younger ones, were called by Church leaders to open up that part of the country for settlement. In Utah Since Statehood, vol 4, is an article on Eugene Walton and his son Charles Eugene. One paragraph reads, in part, "in 1888, Mr. Walton moved to Monticello, having laid out the town site secured the previous year." This statement agrees with the entry in his diary 9 March 1887.

Page after page of his briefly written diary gives living glimpses of a life of rich activity. Another entry reads: "On the 10rh of June I worked on the irrigation ditch andl went to singing school at night. I attended Board fof Directors meeting in the evening and had a spelling school. At school this evening I lectured on ancient history."

Again he wrote: "I went to Bluff to attend Court. Jane accompanied me. went through the record books and found I was in debt to the County for seventy-three dollars. I cut lucerne hay for John Rogerson, we cleaned out the stables and next day. I fixed fence, built a counter and fixed up the threshing machine. helped mark goods for the mercantile store. I attended Court and paid thirty-five dollars of the money I owed the County."

A contract was let, the record stated, to "Superintendent Charles Eugene Walton to complete the road from Verdue to the wash in the bottom of Devil's Canyon." They were living in Monticello when Jane went with her husband to Bluff to attend Court. The story of their lives is woven into the history of San Juan.

As the horses trotted along the dusty road their thoughts were tranquil. They were re-living and understanding this marvelous life. Jane remembered the day when the first mail-carrying team jogged into Bluff with the United States mail. Eugene smiled in memory. They had worked, negotiated and waited "two years, six months and twenty days" for this great event. It was 26 October 1882 when the outside world opened to the joyful people in this growing community.

Jane had served as president of the stake Relief Society since its first organization. Her work carried her all over San Juan County to Moab and part of New Mexico and to Mancos and Cortez in Colorado. In buggy or wagon, in heat or cold, she seldom, if ever, failed in the duties of her assignment. That was the integrity of Jane, who as a young girl walked all the way across the plains as her mother said, "on a diet of corn and a small ration of buffalo meat when it could be had."

Jane had a joyous disposition and loved dancing. A letter written by her to "Dear Sarah" told of good times at a bow dance and picnic, a cap dance and picnic, an oyster supper and a dance when a glittering Christmas tree was the focal point of the festivities. The picnic was always a favorite on such occasions. Sometimes dances were broken up by rough cowboys who drove cattle over Utah, Arizona, and the Mexican border. Drunken fights and "shootin' up the town" were not uncommon.

Strange, that on a 24th of July celebration when flags were flying and streets festooned red, white, and blue bunting, that the dance was 'crashed' by a rowdy group, and a stray bullet, fired from the gun of a drunken cowboy struck Jane. They rushed her to her home where she died in the presence of her broken-hearted husband and son. A blood-stained floor bore mute testimony of a noble life wiped out on a rugged frontier. Her death was the fulfillment of her own father's statement when he appeared to her and said, "I will leave you now, but will come again when you are forty-five years old." Her death on the 24th of July, 1891, was eight days after her forty-fifth birthday.

Two years after the tragedy of his wife's death, Eugene accepted a call from the presidency of the Church to fill a mission in the Southern States. This was the first call for missionaries from San Juan Stake. He served two years, from 1894-1896. In 1904 he moved to Logan to be near the temple, where he served for many years. He died 14 December 1923.

Charles is our 2nd Great Grandfather Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

He was married to Jane MCKECHNIE on 22 Feb 1867 in Logan, Cache Co., Utah. Children were: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr., Frances Magnolia WALTON, Leona Jane WALTON.

Children were: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr..

bulletCharles Eugene WALTON Jr. Photo was born on 28 Jan 1868 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. He died on 9 May 1947 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. He was a Postmaster in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah.
Charles Eugene Walton Jr., son of Charles Eugene and Jane McKechnie, was born 28 January 1868 in Bountiful, Utah, and died 9 May 1947 in Monticello, Utah. He married Emma Louise Hyde, born 27 November 1879, Chicken Creek, Juab County, Utah. She died 6 July 1954 in Monticello, Utah, and was the daughter of William Edward and Emma Mariah (Tolman) Hyde.

When Charles Jr. was about four years old, he moved with his parents to Woodruff, where his father engaged in farming and stock raising. It became Charles' full time job to herd the cattle. At age seven he started to school in a typical frontier schoolhouse, where one teacher held sway over the temporary destinies of all grades and ages. His first teacher was Van Putnam, grandson of Ruth Walton and Israel Putnam. Young Charles was about 10 the summer the family lived in the Hilliard Mountains of Wyoming where his father was engaged in cutting timber and cord wood. The boy was sent out on horseback each day to deliver milk to the woodcutters. One day on his regular delivery route his serenity was considerably upset by the demands of his sister Maggie (Magnolia) to accompany him. He didn't want any 'old girl' along! But the ancestral Scottish tenacity of purpose was as strong in her as it was in him, and; hers prevailed. Perched up behind him on the pony as he jogged along the woodcutters trail with his burden of children, with milk cans hanging on either side, Maggie was satisfied, and they soon forgot their differences in enjoying the loveliness of the forest.

Unbeknown to them a forest fire had broken out that morning while they were gone, and had crossed the trail the children must take on their way home. As they approached the area they could see the fire and were terrified, but thinking of home and their mother waiting for them on the other side of: the flames, there seemed to the boy nothing to do but to ride through it. Imagine the consternation of the woodcutters behind, and their mother ahead of them, each cut off from attempting to rescue the two trapped children.

But with the daring of youth, and the urgency of the situation, Charles gripped the reins desperately in his hands and crying to his sister to hold tight around his waist because "we're going through and we're going to ride like hell!" he frantically urged the pony at a gallop through the blazing timber, and miraculously reached the other side in time to help his mother drag the furniture, including the heavy iron cookstove, from the little log house. The fire passed without harm, and with grateful hearts they dragged their belongings back into the house.

In October, 1879 the father received a call from the Church to take his family and possessions and join a company that was called to go into San Juan County to establish the San Juan Mission. Indians had been making raids on white settlements over a wide radius of country, stealing horses and making trouble in general. The main purpose in calling these settlers was to cultivate peace and friendliness with these tribes, and to establish law and order among them.

Apostle Erastus Snow and Silas S. Smith were in charge of this mission. Silas Smith was appointed leader of the mission, but having also been elected to the legislature, he left Jens Nielson and Platte Lyman in charge. Charles was 11 at that time. His duty for this journey was that of herd-boy. He was to make the long trip on horseback and drive the stock. Being a boy he found much to make the trip interesting, and felt few of the worries or responsibilities of the undertaking. When the company reached Hole-in- the-Rock where they encamped for the winter, he also had his duties around the camp. There was no road so the men had to literally blast out and enlarge a fissure inside the opening in the rock, wide enough to allow wagons to go through.

This notch had to be made to eliminate a 45-foot drop. During this operation a rope was tied around Charles' slender waist, and he was lowered over the edge of the cliff, to place the black powder in the proper crevices and prepare it for the explosion.

At another time, he was one of about 20 men and boys who had heavy ropes tied around their bodies to hold the wagons back, when attempting a steep descent, to make sure there would be no accident if the brakes on the wagon failed to hold. When one wagon was safe at the bottom, the men went back up the mile long incline to help the next. Other days, Charles carried water up the steep trail for the toiling men. This road was completed in late December, and the first company went through. The second company went through on Charles' birthday--28 January 1880-- and he and the rest of the family ferried across the Colorado River, on the journey to their new home.

The duties of a boy in a pioneer settlement were many, Charles became the herd-boy for the whole settlement. He established a friendship among the Indians which lasted throughout his life. He swam with them in the San Juan River, and played with them in their camps. He often visited with them during their festivals such as their corn dances and rain dances. As he grew older, the merchants hired him to cross the river in a boat and bring back the Navajos with their wool, goatskins, and other barter they might have to trade in Bluff. Among these tribes were the Piutes who came to his home when they were hungry, knowing they would be fed. This hospitality was returned when he visited their wickiups.

During the winter of 1886-87 there was a plan afoot for the settling of a mission in the higher country. Accordingly an irrigation company was organized in the fall of 1887. Charles, then about 19, with his father and several men, were called to establish a settlement in the Blue Mountain country. That fall, they were kept busy making irrigation ditches and surveying a town site. Charles said that for his year's work he received one ton of hay, four bushels of oats, four sacks of potatoes, and six bushels of wheat.

The next summer, with the coming of a number of families who were to live in the new settlement, one of the first problems was choosing an appropriate name for the new community. The older men of: the town met to choose the name, and President Hammond suggested Antioch as a good name. They decided to meet another day to make it official, but the younger men and girls were not happy with the name Antioch, the capitol city of Syria. They secretly met together and on the suggestion of Charles, who had just read the Life of Thomas Jefferson and liked the name of his famous mansion in Virginia, decided that Month cello would be a better name. They launched a clever "whispering campaign" and circulated much propaganda in favor of that name instead of Antioch. So subtly was it done that when the older men met to make the name official, they seemed to have forgotten their original choice and on motion of Charles Eugene Walton, Sr., the name Monticello was presented and unanimously accepted.

When Monticello was dignified by the government with a post office and mail service in 1890, Charles was appointed its first postmaster, the commission being granted by Benjamin Harrison, then President of the United States. With the exception of eight years, he held the position until October, 1934.

When Charles, Jr. was 25 his father was called on a mission to the Southern States, and Charles was called to be second counselor in the bishopric to fill the vacancy made by his father's release.

An article in Utah Since Statehood reads: "Charles Eugene Walton obtained a common school education at Bluff and one year at the Brigham Young University. In 1901 he went with his father to Logan where he worked in the sugar factory. In later years he returned to Monticello and has since been engaged in farming and cattle raising in addition to his city and county work. He is the owner of excellent farm property and is interested in the roller mill and water and light company."

In January, 1935 he became treasurer of San Juan County for a term of four years. He served his Church as bishop (1923-28), high councilman, Sunday School superintendent, Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association president, and as ward clerk.

Charles Jr. is our Great Grandfather
Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Sr. and Jane MCKECHNIE. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Sr..

He was married to Emma Louise HYDE on 28 Jan 1896 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. Children were: Pearl Louise WALTON, Leona Jean WALTON, Frances Ila WALTON, Olive WALTON, William Charles WALTON.

bullet Dana WALTON Photo was born on 13 May 1830 in Mexico, Oxford Co., Maine. Parents: Arthur WALTON and Martha Ann WALTON.

He was married to Rebecca CARD on 14 Dec 1851.

bulletDavis WALTON was born in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

bullet Elizabeth WALTON was born in England. She died in Reading, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Eva Leone WALTON was born on 14 May 1870 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Frances Adeline WALTON Photo was born on 8 May 1857. She died on 3 Jan 1896 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

She was married to Thomas Harold HARRISON on 8 Jun 1877 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah.

bullet Frances Ila WALTON was born on 7 Feb 1900 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. She died on 17 Dec 1984 in Flagstaff, Coconino Co., Arizona. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr. and Emma Louise HYDE .

She was married to Horace Wilson ALLRED on 20 Oct 1920 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.

bullet Frances Magnolia WALTON Photo was born on 31 Mar 1869 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. She died on 7 Sep 1918 in Bluff, San Juan Co., Utah. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Sr. and Jane MCKECHNIE.

She was married to John Ezra BAILEY on 2 Jun 1892 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah.

bullet George Ossian WALTON was born on 14 Dec 1850 in Montrose, Lee Co., Iowa. He died on 18 Jun 1851. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

bullet George Washington WALTON Photo was born on 11 Oct 1861. He died on 10 Nov 1953. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

He was married to Josephine Bonaparte FOSS on 22 Jul 1882 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah.

bullet Hannah WALTON was born on 27 Nov 1703. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

bullet Harrison A. WALTON was born on 28 Nov 1846 in Paw Paw, Lee Co., Illinois. He died on 15 Dec 1849. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

bullet James WALTON had an estate probated in 1561. He was born in Huntingsdonshire, England. Parents: William WALTON and Elizabeth DUNSTONE.

Children were: William WALTON .

bulletJane Harrison WALTON was born on 14 Jan 1866. She died on 12 Dec 1866. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet John WALTON was born on 29 Sep 1849. He died Infant. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR .

bullet John WALTON was born in England. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Sir John de WALTON Knight was living in 1393/94 in Great Stoughton Manor, Huntingdonshire, England. Parents: Sir Thomas de WALTON and Elizabeth ASPALL.

He was married. Children were: Sir Thomas de WALTON.

bullet Sir John de WALTON was living in 1381 in Stepel Brumstead, Essex, England. Parents: Sir William de WALTON.

He was married. Children were: Sir Thomas de WALTON.

bullet John Harrison WALTON was born on 9 Aug 1874. He died on 11 Oct 1928. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Jonathan WALTON was born on 5 Jan 1720. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

bullet Joseph Henry WALTON was born on 2 Jun 1863. He died on 7 Nov 1942 in Auburn, Lincoln Co., Wyoming. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Frances Newell TAYLOR.

He was married to Mary Ann WHEELOCK on 22 Dec 1881 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah.

bullet Joshua WALTON was born in Amherst, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. He died in Fayette, Kennebec Co., Maine. Parents: Samuel WALTON III and Rebecca DAVIS.

bullet Josiah WALTON was born between 1640 and 1650 in England. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Leona Jane WALTON Photo was born on 19 Aug 1872 in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. She died on 9 Sep 1942 in Murray, Salt Lake Co., Utah. Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Sr. and Jane MCKECHNIE.

She was married to Francis NIELSON on 30 Nov 1892 in Logan, Cache Co., Utah.

bullet Leona Jean WALTON Photo was born on 3 Jan 1899 in Monticello, San Juan Co., Utah. She died on 20 Jul 1977 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.
Leona Jean Walton was the 2nd born in a Mormon family of 5 children, 4 girls and 1 boy. Her father, one of the original founders of the towns of Bluff and Monticello in Southern Utah, was an important man in town. He was the town Postmaster and active in the local Mormon ward. Later he would serve as Bishop.

Jean owned one of the first Kodak mass produced cameras, an unusual contraption by today’s standards with a bellows lens. Because of this, much of the early years of her life in Monticello as a teenager and young woman is documented with snapshots.

The Waltons lived across the street from the Baileys in one of the nicer homes in town. When Jean was about 16, Alvin Bailey returned from his church mission. Al took notice of Jean and they started seeing each other. They soon fell in love and made plans to be married in the Salt Lake Temple that spring.

Al was a successful merchant in Monticello, so, prior to marriage, they were able to build their own home across the street from Jean’s parents’ home and adjacent to Al’s parents’ home in Monticello.

In late May 1916, Al and Jean rode in a truck, called the "Stage", to Thompson Springs, where they were able to catch a train to Salt Lake City. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple shortly thereafter. While in Salt Lake, they bought furniture to furnish their new home in Monticello and made arrangements to have it shipped.

Upon returning home, they had to each move back into their parents’ homes until they could borrow enough furniture and supplies to set up housekeeping until their new furniture arrived from Salt Lake.
About a year later, their first child, Richard Quinn, was born.

Al had many business interests in those days. In addition to a successful mercantile and pool hall, he also ran a saw mill outside of town. A few years after marrying Jean, he grew tired of the mercantile and pool hall business, and sold his interest. He used the money to buy a farm on the Vega River, along with some livestock. This farm thrived at first, but eventually ran into serious difficulties, as did many of the farms and ranches in the area. In the mid 1920’s, things became so bad that Al was forced to liquidate the farm to pay debts. It was also around this time that Al probably began to drink.

Around 1925, Jean’s husband was excommunicated from the Mormon Church. Details of the circumstances of this event are sketchy or nonexistent. It is known that Al was unpopular with the local Mormon leaders because of the pool hall, which he had operated in town against their wishes a few years earlier. The fact that he also smoked and drank might also have contributed to his unpopularity in this small Mormon community. This, combined with his difficulties with the farm, made it desirable for Al to leave Monticello.

After unsuccessfully trying to find a job in Salt Lake, Al found a job as a butcher through a missionary friend in Driggs, Idaho. Al left his family, which now included 2 boys, Dick and Bill, who was just an infant, in Monticello while he went up to Driggs to earn enough money to send for his wife and kids. Once Al was established, Jean and the boys got a ride to Thompson Springs, Utah, where they were able to catch a train to Driggs and join Al.

Things went well at first, but then the Depression hit. The store in Driggs failed, and the family moved to Idaho Falls where Al got a job as a butcher/grocer and they lived a couple of years. Al was soon offered a better job in Ogden, so Jean and Al packed up their family and moved again. Al’s boss in Ogden was impressed with Al and wanted him to run a store for him in Delta, Utah, so they packed up the kids again and moved to Delta, where they lived for about 2 years. Business dropped because of the depression, and Al was again out of work. The family packed up one more time and moved to Ogden where Al was again able to find work as a butcher.

The family continued to move from house to house on approximately a yearly basis, but they stayed in the Ogden area. Al held and lost several jobs. This was in the depths of the Great Depression. One summer for a period of time, while living in North Ogden, the family had to subsist almost entirely on apricots from an adjacent orchard.

In the mid 1930’s, Al got a job in Green River, Wyoming, and the family moved once more. This time, the eldest, Dick, stayed behind to finish high school and attend college. They lived in Wyoming for several years and then moved to Salt Lake.

Both of Al and Jean’s boys were drafted and served during World War II. Jean and Al were living at the time in Murray on 39th South near 5th East. Al took a job in Alaska as a butcher during these hard times, and would send his paycheck home to Jean. Jean and Al eventually saved enough money so Al was able to buy and operate his own grocery stores in Salt Lake.

For a while after the war, Al and Jean had their oldest son Dick, his wife Marie, and their 2 children living with them on 39th South until they could earn enough money to buy their own home.

While living on 39th South, Jean was able to pursue her hobbies of growing house plants and gardening. She had many rose bushes and tulips which decorated their yard, and a bay window in the kitchen filled with house plants.

She also enjoyed her numerous grandchildren from Dick and Bill’s large families. Her grandchildren fondly remember those visits to Grandma’s house where Jean would teach them card games, work jigsaw puzzles with them, and where they could help Grandpa in the little farm out back where he would grow vegetables. Grandpa also raised rabbits, which he would sell for food, as well as for pets. It was fun for the grandchildren to see all of the rabbits.

Al continued to struggle with a long term drinking problem. Things eventually became so bad, with episodes of delirium tremens and hospitalization, that Al needed to join Alcoholics Anonymous where he finally got the help he needed to quit drinking.

During these years, Jean had always remained active in the Mormon Church. A strong believer, she spent her later years doing genealogy work and performing temple ceremonies for her ancestors. Al also believed strongly in the Mormon doctrine. After conquering his drinking habit and successfully quitting smoking, Al was able to rejoin the Mormon Church and spend his last years as an active and productive member. He was also very active in Alcoholics Anonymous, giving speeches and helping others conquer their drinking problem.

Soon after Al retired, Jean and Al sold their home in Murray and moved into town. Al died in 1970 at the age of 78. Jean lived another 7 years. She spent much of this time doing genealogy work. She died in 1977 at the age of 78.
Parents: Charles Eugene WALTON Jr. and Emma Louise HYDE.

She was married to Alvin L. BAILEY on 1 Jun 1916 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah.
Alvin and Jean lived several places in Utah while raising their two boys. They eventually bought a home on 39th S. near 5th E. in Salt Lake.

After retirement, they moved into downtown Salt Lake where they had a modest apartment.

The following describes some of their life during the depression, in Al's words:

In 1917 during the World War One, I took a group of recruits to Green River to be inducted into the army. I tried to volunteer but, because I was married and had two children and was so extensively engaged in farming, which was considered essential to the war effort, I was turned down, so I am not a World War veteran. Soon after the War was the beginning of the Depression. Being broke, I found a job with the U.S. Vanadium Co. in Dry Valley. I stayed with them until they folded up. Stranded again, I got together enough money to get to Salt Lake City, looked around for a job, but found none. I remembered a missionary companion I had in the Southern States Mission, Alma Simmons. I knew he had a business at Driggs, Idaho. I was short of money but, nevertheless, I put in a long distance call. Simmons said he had three grocery stores and meat markets, one in Driggs, one in Tetonia, and one in a mining camp called Sam. This was the only coal mine in the state. Simmons, knowing of my background as a grocer and meat cutter, said to come to Driggs, and I could work in one of his stores. So, with what I had left, I got a ticket to Idaho Falls, transferred there to a train to Driggs. After paying for a room in Idaho Falls and paying the train fare to Driggs, I had nothing left. Passing through Salt Lake City in early June, I had bought myself a cheap straw hat. I reached Driggs about noon. Simmons met me. Delighted with the reunion of so many years since our missionary experience he insisted that we tour his stores, not knowing I had eaten nothing all day. We visited his markets, and we went to his home in Driggs where his wife had prepared dinner. Needless to say, I enjoyed it very much. The next morning, we went to the Driggs market. Here I was installed as manager with a salary of $25.00 a week, half of which was withheld for stock in the Simmons Stores.

After I had accumulated a few dollars, I sent for Jean and the boys. We found a small furnished house that we rented. The Bishop of the Mormon Church in Driggs was the cashier of the Bank where we did our business. Jean came down to the store to help out when I had to go to the slaughter house to kill and dress a beef. The liver we considered worthless, but I had one customer who would come to the store, and I would give him a piece,- no charge. This was during the prohibition years. I had the bootleggers bring me a quart or a pint of their product, and it always came in a fruit jar. That accounts for the mark I acquired across the bridge of my nose. The same fellows brought me a bear one time. When it was dressed out, it looked like a pig. I did not taste the meat, but was told it was delicious. To stimulate business, Mr. Simmons put on a Coupon deal. He gave his customers a book of coupons redeemable at any of his stores. Our Driggs store, however, got most of these customers. This was good at the end of the month when the Sam Mine would pay the Driggs store, and the Store could then pay off its obligations. But, eventually, the crash came. The mine could not pay its debts, and we had between six and seven thousand dollars in coupons. We could not pay our bills, so the creditors came in and took over all three stores. With Mr. Westerburg who had been manager of the Tetonia Store, I went to Idaho Falls. There, we contracted the Sutton Bros. who had three stores, two in Idaho Falls and one in Shelly, a town about eight miles from Idaho Falls. Tom Sutton hired both of us. Westerburg went to Shelly, and I took the Riverside store. I worked there as a meat cutter almost two years.

One day a Mr. Harvey Sewell came into the store and, after looking around awhile, came over to me and said, "Are you satisfied with this job?" I said that I had been looking around for something better. He said that, if I would come to Ogden, he would give me a job at once. I found a man to take my place in the Sutton Market and, with my family, caught the train to Ogden. When we arrived there, we called relatives to see if they could tell us where we could find a house for rent. My Aunt Gertie Weaver said she had several empty apartments on Lincoln Avenue. We rented the old Bailey home from her. This was the home once owned by my grandfather, Henry Bailey. I went to work the next morning for Mr. Sewell. After the third day, he told me he wanted me to go to Delta, Utah, and take charge of the market there. He paid our transportation. I worked in his market for two years. We bought a new Chevrolet during this time, the first car we owned since leaving Monticello. The people of Delta at that time depended almost entirely on raising alfalfa seed as their major income. The price of the seed at this time began to decline rapidly and could not support the county, and Sewell Stores began to lose money, so they decided to get out of business. I was paid off, but I had a wife and two kids and a car that wasn't paid for. We sold the furniture we had acquired, put the rest of our belongings in the car, and took off for Ogden. After arriving there, we found a small place in a very undesirable section of the City, and I went out looking for a job. Safeway had an opening and, with the recommendation of Harvey Sewell, I was given a job in a Safeway market on 24th Street and Wall Ave. The hours were from 8 am to 12 pm. Those days, we closed the store at six in the evening then had to mop the floors, shine the display counters, etc., until midnight. A month or two after working at this place, I was transferred to their store on Washington Ave. Mr. Maxwell was manager. One night they discovered a barrel of cider that had turned hard. The fellows in the store had sampled it. The news spread fast. By closing time, everyone was pretty happy.

I went to work for Dawson Brothers in the O.P.Skaggs system. I had the market on 22nd Street and Washington Blvd. During the depression, I looked from my market just across the street and saw lines of people waiting to receive their quotas of carp which had been seined from the Utah Lake. I did not work long for this store. I was transferred to the 24th Street store. We had a wonderful business here. It took two men in the meat department. It was here I learned the Safeway tricks of the trade. We advertised specials of hams at 10 cents a pound. We cut the center slices out and sold them for 40 cents a pound. What was left was the bone and fat. This job ended when Dawson Bros. realized I was drinking too much. This was in prohibition times, but I had connections with the right people. I would slip out the back door and about a half block up the street and get my bottle. It couldn't last, of course, so they fired me. I walked the streets for days looking for work before I went to the WPA and asked for a job. I got on a job for three days a week at $3.00 a day processing sheepskins. The hides would be put in a solution of some kind, then thrown on the table, and my job was to take the wool off the hides. In most cases, it was quite easy, as the solution in which the hides had been dipped had loosened the wool, so, by scraping across the hide, the wool slipped off. This is about the time of the drought that created the Dust Bowl areas where farmers were forced to sell their livestock before they died of starvation. The government bought the cattle and shipped them to packing plants where they were slaughtered, the meat processed and canned to be distributed to those on relief. I got a job with the American Packing Co. boning the beef. The cattle would be slaughtered and chilled overnight, then brought down on conveyors along the boning tables and, as the quarters of beef came down the line, we would take them off and proceed to take the meat from the bones. After some practice, we could do a side of beef in thirty-five minutes. We were paid by the piece. Sixty five cents for a hind quarter and sixty cents for fronts. I had moved to North Ogden. There was a small orchard, an artesian well supplied our water, but the well run dry in late summer then we carried drinking water from across the street. There was an old school building nearby, and I got extra work there two days a week cleaning brick. The only heat we had in the house was from wood fires. We brought old scrap wood from the building being torn down and cut it up for the kitchen range and the heating stove. Dick had finished High School and was earning some money helping a Mr. Warren.

A salesman I knew, Earnie Valentine, sent me a message that a Mr. Wilford Tallifero in Green River, Wyoming, wanted a butcher to work in one of his stores. He worked for the Piggley Wiggley chain later bought out by the Safeway Stores. I went to Green River where I worked a few weeks until I could send for my family. Dick was going to Weber College, so he stayed in Ogden. Jean and Bill came to Green River, and we rented a small apartment from Mr. Dancoskie. The old couple who owned the place lived in one side of the house and rented us the other side. I worked in the market in Green River for nearly two years at $37.50 a week. I developed a back injury trying to pick up a veal calf from the scales. Had to go to Rock Springs for treatment. (Never finished. Alvin L. Bailey died 24 August 1970)

Children were: Richard Quinn BAILEY, William Walton BAILEY.

bullet Margaret WALTON Photo was born in 1828 in Mexico, Oxford Co., Maine. Parents: Arthur WALTON and Martha Ann WALTON.

bullet Martha WALTON was born in England. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Martha Ann WALTON was born on 3 Nov 1798 in Alstead, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire. She died in 1853. Parents: Reuben WALTON Jr. and Ruth PEABODY.

She was married to Arthur WALTON in 1821. Children were: William Harrison WALTON, Margaret WALTON, Dana WALTON, Andrew Jackson WALTON.

bullet Martha Ann WALTON Photo was born on 15 Feb 1868 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Mary WALTON was born in Massachusetts. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Mary WALTON was born on 12 Apr 1716. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

bullet May WALTON was born in Massachusetts. Parents: Rev. William WALTON and Elizabeth COOKE.

bullet Minnie Elizabeth WALTON was born on 13 Sep 1879. She died on 12 Nov 1881. Parents: William Harrison WALTON and Sarah Elizabeth HARRISON.

bullet Moses WALTON was born on 24 May 1712. Parents: Samuel WALTON Jr. and Hannah Mary LEACH.

Back Back       Next Next